Saturday, March 19, 2005

Speaking of Beavers...

Every great weekend has a catchphrase (see post title) and this one is no exception. I realize that it is early Saturday morning and for most people, it is usually the kick-off and not last call. But due to babysitting issues, my weekend started yesterday morning and ends in about 4.5 hours.

We had a great time last night reuniting with friends I haven't seen for over a year. Everyone is settling comfortably into their thirties and are much more relaxed and mellow than they used to be. Everyone except for the one who was still 29. She began to bemoan the fact that she would be thirty soon. All of us were like, eh, it's no big deal. I added: "You know, your thirties will be so much better than your twenties because you will realize how bad your twenties sucked."

As I said it, I realized what a relief it was to admit that my twenties weren't the best time of my life. Here's why:

  1. No experience, therefore, lousy jobs.
  2. Spiraling in and out of depression due to many life-altering decisions must make in twenties.
  3. Parents still seem like authority figures; I still acted like teenager.
  4. High mobility/no permanent residence.

My thirties are wonderful due to the direct opposite of the above statements. I think that my thirty-something friends would probably agree that it feels like you've got a firmer grip on the reins of life by the time you hit, say, 32.

Labels: