Saturday, April 01, 2006

Puppets for Grown Ups

Yesterday, I bought myself a DVD of a TV show called Wonder Showzen. Let's just say that it is not for children, despite the cute logo. This is a puppet show that is atheistic, vulgar, naughty, obnoxious, and absoulutely like nothing else I've ever seen. I'm not sure I'm glad I shelled out $21 for this.

The show starts out with a warning sayining, "If you let children watch this, then you are a bad parent or guardian." I like the way they say this. I think the makers of this show have kids. In fact, I think one of the producers is John Lee, Supertaster of They Might Be Giants fame. Although, I can't prove that. However, he does do letter songs for the Disney Channel. Maybe he snapped and made this show? I can't blame him.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this show. Some if it is amazingly brilliant. Some of it is amazingly coarse. And some of it is just down right uncomfortable. I particularly loved the segment of the show celebrating white people. It skewered the tactics of those people who are trying to set up diversity for the sake of appearances. I'm not so comfortable watching a young child of about 8 taking a tour of a butcher shop and interviewing butchers. I can't even watch the opening credits; it's too awful.

I am willing to watch it again. Perhaps it will grow on me. Afterall, puppets have an amazing power over me that I cannot explain. And, I've found, being uncomfortable is good for me on occaision. It helps me grow. Besides, I've listened to enough Howard Stern that I shouldn't be bothered by watching the letter people getting it on. Then having a baby. The letter N is on a bender after rehab and she's sad because no one Needs her. She meets up with letter S. They have a night of debauched sex. She gets pregnant. They have a baby: little i. Their family portrait: SiN.

I don't know. Maybe I should sell this disk on E-Bay. Maybe I should give copies to all my friends. Maybe, I should show it at the next Lodge Meeting. Hmm. Maybe I should watch it again now...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I think it's an important show that's trying to say something. I also think it's a bit of a lark. I think the makers have watched way too much children's television and snapped. This is show is the result.

Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:20:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home