Monday, July 10, 2006

I Want To Like Danny Phantom

Look at him. He's cool. He's got a great theme song. Many of the elements that I look for in a show Danny Phantom has: I like the style, the music, and I enjoy the voice acting. Danny Phantom was created by the same guy who created the Fairly Odd Parents, a show I really enjoy. All evidence indicates that I should enjoy this show, but I don't.

My kids love both shows and so does Doc. We don't always agree on these things, but I usually at least understand what they find appealing. At first I objected to Danny Phantom's content, thinking it was too scary for my little girls. But as I started to watch it casually at first and then began to pay attention to it in earnest, I realized it was pretty tame. On the scariness spectrum, it sits nicely next to Scooby Doo. Thinking that my reservations were alleviated, I decided to give the show a shot. I wanted to like it, I really did. And I discovered elements that I enjoyed, my favorite being the moment Danny says "I'm goin' ghost!" and his theme music kicks in.

But there is something about this show that leaves me cold. I just can't get into it. There is something hollow about the feeling I get when watching it. It wasn't until I was ranting about it on the phone the other day with Big Orange that I realized why: The premise of the show itself. In a nutshell, Danny gains ghost abilities after a lab accident. He can transform from regular boy to ghost boy at will. This gives him a distinct advantage over ghosts and humans alike. As a ghost, he is immune to human weapons and objects and as a human, he is immune to ghost weapons and objects. It really makes him quite invincible. Pretty handy, don't you think? Of course, he's a teenager and bound to make errors in judgment, but overall, there is nothing much he can't handle.

Most episodes are dedicated to tracking down, trapping and exiling wayward spirits into Ghost World. But most of the spirits who haunt Amityville came through a portal Danny's parents invented! This portal, a MacGuffin if there ever was one, is in his parents' basement! What I don't understand is, why not destroy it? I realize his mother is interested in studying the ghosts and his father has a vendetta against them. Those reasons alone may be good enough for the portal to exist in the minds of the creators, but they are not good enough for me. I also realize that I'm probably not the target audience for this show and I may have the bar raised a bit too high. Perhaps I should chill out. However, Fairly Odd Parents is such an entertaining and well-thought out show. Why couldn't the creators do the same for Danny Phantom? Why couldn't they find plausible reasons for these characters to exist?

I really like many of the characters: Danny, Sam, and the Box Ghost. It's too bad that the story line is held together with such flimsy logic. I think I'm not the only one who feels this way, either. The suits at Nicklelodeon are not renewing it. So, come February of next year, Danny Phantom will be a phantom in our memory. I will no longer have to deal with the nagging thoughts that torment me when I'm enduring children's television. I won't have to sit through Danny Phantom and silently beseech the heavens, "Why not destroy the doggone portal and be done with this? You're wasting my time!"

But part of me will be sad; my daughters love this show. They will miss it. I know the feeling of having a beloved show cancelled too soon. Perhaps I should take the opportunity, when the time comes next February, to sit down and explain to them why Danny Phantom was cancelled, to tell them that cool effects and music is not enough to make a great show. I think I will. It is what the experts call a "teachable moment." I usually don't have time to prepare for these, they are usually spontaneous. I must also prepare for the reaction that they will not care why Danny Phantom was cancelled. Or that they will disagree with me.

Cue: Battle Hymnn of the Republic

But it is my duty to instruct the younger generation on the properties of good entertainment. To disdain programming that is basically cheating on the writing. To abhor form without function. And to expect more out of people who are given millions of dollars to draw cartoons. For if accountability is important for working stiffs, it is important for all Americans. And if my words fall on deaf ears, I shall not falter. I shall say my message again and again until sheer repetition of the message makes it truth! And that, my fellow Americans, is parenting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

What do you mean by the "OTHER meaning of DP"?

I love it when you say I'm 100% right. Gives me goosebumps.

I am able to suspend disbelief when there's a logic to it. But the reason for the existance of the ghost portal seems so flimsy. It just makes my teeth hurt.

Monday, July 10, 2006 11:51:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Okeedokee. I'll take your word for it and not ask for clarification. I plan to hold on to any innocence I have left.

Monday, July 10, 2006 11:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

I suck.

I don't watch TV at all, and my li'l smooth operator doesn't either! We just never have the time I guess.

Oh well! Happy-go-lucky Jas, signing out! :D

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Good for you, Jas, that you and your l'il one don't watch TV. Part of me knows it's bad for the kids. But, OMG, sometimes they (or I) need to slow down. The TV kind of saps the piss and vinegar out of them.

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:59:00 AM

 
Blogger Christopher said...

A lot of the show is about Danny's internal struggles with fitting in and dealing with being a teenager. Rarely is the entire episode devoted to simply fighting a single villain, and when it is so, Danny's powers rarely do the trick. For example, in "Welcome to the Jungle", Danny's normal powers won't work against Overgrowth, so he need some help. In "The Fright before Christmas", the Ghost Writer is nearly invincible, and Danny needs some serious smarts to get out of a few nasty situations (plus it's a poem, so that's cool in itself).

Also, Danny is still vulnerable to anti-ghost weapons even while in his "normal" form, so he's never invincible. In fact, he's actually quite vulnerable most of the time, he usually wins through finding a hidden weakness or going on a go-for-broke offense. Sure, he's tough, but so are most of his enemies. His only benefit is that he's a "ghost" to the ghosts in the Ghost Zone while in his human form (ie. can walk through walls, can't be touched or harmed, etc). Still, that's only in the Ghost Zone, and even then, anti-ghost weapons still hurt.

Destroying the Ghost portal doesn't really seem like an option. Ghost hunting is his parents' "raison d'etre", their driving force. It wouldn't be very kind to them. Also, Vlad has his own Ghost portal, so it might not even help. At least this way Danny can fight the ghost that come out before they become Vlad's allies.

Also, it'd remove most of the conflict, and who wants that?

True, flashy effects and good music don't make a show, but the art style was great, and I thought the plots held more water than most cartoons out there nowadays (Flapjack, I'm looking at you, kid).

I'm not trying to aggressive, just putting out my 2 cents.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:07:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home