Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Comparative Literature: Breaking Bad and 19 Kids and Counting


I like having two shows going at the same time on Netflix. Right now, it's Breaking Bad and 19 Kids and Counting. I've been struck by the commonalities of both shows:

  • Both portray American families and their struggles and how they problem solve, e.g. both the Whites and the Duggars hold family meetings to address issues
  • Michelle Duggar teaches a class of around 20 students and so does Mr. White
  • Both sets of parents try to protect their respective families from harm and influence from the outside world
  • They are all nerdy
  • The health of one parent is the focus of the show and the family (pregnancy for Michelle and lung cancer for Walt Sr)
  • Both families drive used cars
  • Both families leverage what they have for the most possible gain
I could probably go on. I love both of the shows equally, after being equally squicked out by both at first. And I love the idea of one of those worlds bleeding together in my imagination (literally). 

6 Comments:

Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

Both shows make me count the blessings of my own life since I would probably kill myself if I was in the White family and the same with the Duggar family except for the "probably" part.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:16:00 PM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

Have haven't watched either show, I feel left out!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:24:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Get crack-a-lackin'!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

The thing is, the Duggers will probably always drive used cars, the Whites not so much.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Dale said...

If they hooked the Duggars on meth, I'd watch!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:44:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home