Friday, February 16, 2007

A Poem: When I Stepped Outside

Dedicated to Echo

When I stepped outside
I found the world had turned cool and green
The humidity blown away in the watches of the night

On 4 hours of broken sleep I headed off to work
Exhausted by the thought of the day
Wondering what ELSE I could do other than teach

At lunch I opened both my doors and let the air swamp out
With the lights off and the doors open
I felt my mind ease

I heard the yells of students and the babble of talk
Shouts from the playground out back
Kids playing in the clear blue air

I ate a candy bar and drank some sweet tea
In the cool dark of my room
And felt refreshed.

I suppose I could stay on for a day or so more.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger echo said...

Heh...

Friday, February 16, 2007 3:07:00 PM

 
Blogger echo said...

Big Orange Thievery... I applaud you and am humbled...

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I'm impressed and humbled just the same. Thanks for the inspiration; it's been keeping me busy all day.

xoxox

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:49:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, thats a damned fine poem, that is...

Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:05:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home