Sunday, May 22, 2005

I Wanted Two Things for my Birthday

And one of them was Team America: World Police on DVD. I bought it for myself today and Shawn and I just got done watching it.

Let me say that I am a sucker for puppets. I almost don't care what story is being presented; I'm usually impressed. So, know that going into this movie, I have a bit of a bias. I've told you that so that I can tell you this: Team America: World Police is a work of art. It's the Mona Lisa giving us all the finger. It is silly, absurd and an absolute masterpiece.

The puppetry was amazing. I think they may have cheated a few scences with CGI, but on the whole, it was inspiring. There were times I forgot they were puppets and I was shaken when I remembered by the high level of craftsmanship involved with making this movie. Even if they were completly CGI, the effect would still be impactful.

The story was clever and baudy and there were barbs aimed at everyone. About two-thirds of the way in I was completely dumsquizzeled by the sharpness of the humor and the effort behind making a film in a tradition with so many limitations. But they used the disadvantages of the medium to their comedic limits.

Wow.

We've got to chip in for freedom, and freedom costs a buck-oh-five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home