Monday, May 02, 2005

"Yeah, I like Earth, I got these boots there!"

I went to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with a bunch of friends who are all fans of the book, from one-time readers to what you might call zealots. It was truly a joy. This movie was a love letter to the fans as well as to Douglas Adams. The makers of this movie took such care in its creation and had so much respect for the story and the author, it moved me beyond words.

How refreshing to have the protagonists tortured by bad poetry instead of physical pain. It has been a long time since I've seen a movie this absurd and full of whimsy. It is the first time I've ever felt smack dab in the middle of a target market; this movie was made for people like me.

I do not wish to spoil it for those who have not seen it, but I must say that I love what they did with Zaphod Beeblebrox. He is my new hero. Also, the way they handled the distruction of the earth was breathtaking in its simplicity. It was an amazing and frightening 12 seconds. It was frightening to behold because of the grain of possibility it held: that someone completely without regard for the life upon it could destroy it so easily.

My friend, Terry, who could not be with us, alerted me to the BBC's take on the movie, simply put: too bad it's not funny. They could hardly be further from the truth. It was funny, touching, absurd and delightful the whole way through. It paid homage to all the other iterations of the story as well as to its author, who is given executive producer credits and to whom the movie is dedicated. Look for cameos of Peter Jones, the theme song to the TV show, and the first incarnation of Marvin the Paranoid Android.

The Vogons were a work of art, so much so that my new career aspiration is "space bureaucrat." Working for a state institution, I am well familar with having things signed in triplicate. Seeing a possible future where bureaucrats are still bureaucrats was pleasing in a way I cannot quite put words to. It has made it easier for me, however, to see my own work in a new light by imaging the purchasing department as populated by Vogons.

The makers of this movie took the story to a whole new level the same way that Peter Jackson translated the Ring series. It was an improvement on the original. The makers were faithful to the story, but trimmed the excess in a very satisfying way. They also left room for a sequel, which I do hope they make. If they are as careful with the next one as they are with this one, I may reconsider my opinion of the sequel as a viable art form.

If you have read this book, see it on the big screen; it is worth it. If you haven't read the book, see the movie on a big screen; it is worth it. Douglas Adams was taken from us too soon, but this movie made me feel like he is still with us. It was his influence that stoked the fires of whimsy in me, that was instilled in me by my parents, but left me during that brief period in my life when my parents weren't cool. I hope to carry on, in some small way, his joy for wordplay, his cockeyed take on the world, and his zest for the ridiculous that he helped sustain in me to this very day.

So three cheers for Hitchhiker's Guide! Go see it; it's worth it.

Princess Greenpearl Stamp of Approval
SWAK
Signed in triplicate, initialed, cross-referenced.
Please keep the goldenrod copy and leave the rest with Roz.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,
Nice review of the movie!
Now just when was it that your parents weren't cool?
Love,
Mom

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:42:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

You know, it was that time at about 16 years old, when I never said anything but the bare minimum? Then. Of course it was only the most fleeting of phases.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:19:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright. If you liked it I will go and see it. But we must talk about "improvement" on LOTR. That borders on heresy!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, Terry, let me see if I can do it in 50 words or less.

I admit I read LOTR as a result of peer pressure and collegiate shame. Therefore, the discovery that I could skip all the "poetry" and still be able to participate in the conversation was a real joy and allowed me to continue to hang out with people like you. I didn't feel the love, but I got the message.

To me, art is another form of conversation, and the best art communicates immediately. Ergo, the shorter the better. Except of course for John Irving who could write 14.7 gagillion words and I would savor every one.

The casual moviegoer may not have read either of the above, but they are allowed the opportunity to see a different way of thinking and understand it in much less time. I appreciate, very much, message over method. And that's why I may be a heretic; I wish to initiate the uninitiated.

Huzzah!

Seacrest, out.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Damn! 151 words. Oh well, I never did have any perception of reality.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

SWAK=Sealed With A Kiss

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:51:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit I'm somewhat of a zealot when it comes to Tolkien. I've spent the better part of my life (boy, do I need to get a life!) researching his writings both academic and non-academic and really appreciate the years and depth that have gone into said writings.

While I agree that anything that gets people reading is good, I always hope that it leads to more indepth study and appreciation. When I read the LOTR today (I still read it every year) I gain a better appreciation because I know where all of the places and characters come from (including Bombadil, his was just a small glimpse into what the character really was).

When you have a through understanding of the topic the message may mean something different to you.

Now as to John Irving. You and I have had this conversation before. The only book I have started and never finished was a John Irving book. With him I prefer to remain the uninitiated.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 5:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, Terry, at least we know where we both stand vis a vis Tolkein. Perhaps some day, when I'm walking the floors waiting for one or both of the girls to come home from a date, I'll pick up the Fellowship of the Ring and read it in earnest.

Until then, let's cherish our favorites and hope that we each can someday fully appreciate the favorite authors of the other.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

As to your hope that the movie would lead to a furhter study of the books, I bow to you. My bar for the mind of humankind is somewhat lower.

Baby steps.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:26:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! But a man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:50:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did like part of GARP. I thought the Pension Grillpanzer was great.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:51:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home