Monday, June 13, 2005

Smitty! Get Me a Cutch!

I was chatting with Big Orange this morning when he mentioned building a "cutch" for his boy, Sol. From what I was able to gather, this is kind of a small, enclosed space in order to get away from it all; imagine a cupboard under the stairs, for size. Check his link above as I am sure, very soon, there will be a post about cutches, what they really are, what the etymological roots are, and how to pronounce it if you are Trafalgamarian. The best I can do is to say that it's official usage has something to do with abandoned oyster shells or tanin extract. But today isn't a great day for me mentally. For all I know, he didn't say cutch at all, but rather he called it a hobby-hole.

Anyway, today, while we were chatting, Big Orange asked me what I would put in my cutch. I started to explain it when he got distracted and had to leave. But, after a day like I've had today, I think I'll spend a moment listing them for the sake of savoring them:

  • King-sized feather duvet, with a plaid, flannel duvet cover
  • Paperback books. If I had to pick one book: Son of the Circus, by John Irving
  • Mead
  • Non-flourescent lighting
  • Tempur-Pedic pillows and mattress
  • Clay Aiken, Johnny Cash, Mozart's Requiem, or King of the Road piped in at the volume of elevator music, just below normal hearing range
  • A serenity fountain
  • Some lilacs or lavender
  • My picture of Buster from TV's Arrested Development
  • Some wind chimes or wilderness sounds such as hawks and owls and the wind.

Man, I am a girl, aren't I? All that's missing is a bubble bath. But I don't like taking baths. I bathe however. I just prefer a hot, steamy, shower with extremely high water pressure pounding on my skin, making it red. Maybe I'll add that to the list.

I believe what I really need to figure out is what it will take to restore my overstimulated senses. The idea of a cutch sounds so amazingly like what I need right now, but it also seems so impractical for me. I know as soon as I would open the door for my very first visit, I would be instantly bored. If not instantly bored, then perhaps bored after 30 minutes. Then, I'd be looking for the phone or stepping out to talk to someone about how cool my new cutch is. I'm getting better about daydreaming and not being so frenetic, but the mania is still there. The introverted part of my personality thinks a cutch is the perfect solution. Unfortunately, the extroverted part is very demanding and difficult to ignore.

Maybe I can find peace if I could just shut up and think for a little while.

2 Comments:

Blogger gennifer6 said...

I would have the Manchester United blanket my sister bought me for Christmas, all my Tool and U2 CDs, "nature sounds" are a good idea, too, I'd have to shoot for a rainstorm.
Maybe you're thinking too much, its your brain that needs to shut up....some of my best ideas and solutions come when I force my brain to slow down and step aside so "me" can come through.

Monday, June 13, 2005 10:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Thank you for the explanation, my dear Orange, of the origins of the word cutch. I hope you know that I was having a rough day yesterday and was a little snarky. Everything I said, I said with love.

And espresso toast, it's definately my brain that needs an off switch. Either that, or I need to let Roz's voice come through much more clearly: Shut up and daydream, Wizowski! There's too much noise in here for me to finish filing your paperwork!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 8:53:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home