Friday, July 15, 2005

Stalking Authors

Ever since I learned to read, I haven't been able to stop. It is something I do daily, read books that is. From very early on I would connect with an author and I would begin to seek out everything he or she had written. First it was Beverly Cleary, then Judy Blume. Eventually, I wandered over to the Sci-Fi Fantasy aisle and discovered Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga (Magician: Apprentice, Magician Master, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon) and David Edding's Belgariad Saga. With David Edding's books, I picked up the series as he was still in the process of writing it. I anxiously awaited each installment. Other authors followed: Kurt Vonnegut, John Irving, Roger Zelazny, Loren Estleman. But most recently, I have been stalking J.K. Rowlings.

I am completely absorbed by the Harry Potter stories. I began reading the first one after the second one was released. I have read and re-read, both on paper and on tape, all of the first five books. I know them inside and out and I cannot wait for the Half-Blood Prince to be released at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow morning. The best thing about this feeling is that it is the first time that millions of other people are as excited as I am about the release of a book. Always before, I have felt alone in my anticipation. I'm sure there are other people who are looking for John Irving's next book, but no one's throwing any parties, that I know of.

It is so rare that a book flicks a switch in so many people at the same time, and I just want to be a part of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

You know, as I was writing this I thought to myself, "This post could easily be published over in
Frying Bacon in the Nude. Only, it would need to be much longer with more colored and varied text styles and phonetically spelled Orange-isms.

I forgot about Stephen King...I went through most of his books in high school. I never took to Tolkien and I now put Koontz in the same file as Grishom: Airplane Reading.

I have been enjoying Jamie Leigh Curtis' children's stories with my daughter. They are fun. But we love Mo Willems' books, especially Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:44:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home