Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My To-Do List

We are planning to sell our house and here is my to-do list, in case you are interested:

  1. Discover the surfaces. I will achieve this objective by removing excess clutter, dusting, and replacing clutter with open space, tasteful Objects D'Art and books. This also means removing 90% of the toys that currently lay claim to 80% of my house, as well as reducing the excess clothing to 10% of its current claim to the closet and drawer real estate.
  2. Edit the furniture. Select the best looking pieces of furniture and banish the rest to the garage, basement, storage, or Salvation Army. Then create cozy spaces that bring to mind a calm and serene resting opportunities or jolly social encounters.
  3. Scrub the Carpet. While the furniture ballet is in full swing, I will vacuum then clean the carpet with my Mom's rug scrubber. This will eradicate all evidence of potato chips ground into the carpet by chubby little feet, old milk and juice stains, vomit (both Kitty and kiddy), and perhaps blood from my one-year old carpet.
  4. Defeat the Basement Clutter in a to-the-death Cage Match. I will savagely attack the overflow of books, memorabilia, and out-grown or out-of-style clothing with the help of my tag-team partners: Doc and Mom in a Clean Sweep Smackdown.
  5. Spring Clean Possum Lodge. The nature of Possum Lodge is one that leans towards disorder and dust. This will have to change, obviously. We must clean and replace the pine boards we had to remove due to water damage. I must clean the pine walls with Murphy's Oil Soap, sweep and mop the floor, clean all and replace some of the rugs, and hang up "No Smoking" signs. And, if possible, we need to teach the cat to shit in the box; shitting near the box will simply not do.
  6. Paint the walls. If there is time, the interior could use a fresh coat of paint. I have two toddlers, need I explain further?
  7. Fine tune the exterior. Kill the weeds growing in the driveway. Replace the grass in the dead spots, remove the beginnings of a patio Doc and I tried to build, weed the flower garden, remove either the sandbox or the play cube, Clean out the garage.

I know this list is ambitious and it is likely that some corners may have to be cut, but it feels good to put the list out there. Maybe, doing all of this work will cause us to decide to stay. Who knows? I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have though. Leave me a comment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, Mr. Doubtfire, I'll have you know that we've already completed the first 3 items on my list and it only took one day (I took a vacation day yesterday and my Mom came to help us, bless her heart). I spoke with my realtor last night and we have two and a half weeks until our open house. So, hopefully, we will have new digs in a month or two, before the arctic blast hits us.

As to why we're moving: it's just too expensive to live where we do. The house payment nearly consumes one of my two monthly paychecks, the taxes are outrageous and it's a bitch to heat the place in the winter. And, now the cost of heating is going to go up 20% this winter!!! That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. We just can't afford another winter here; especially with only one of us working.

So, off we go to more-affordable-land. While we may go south, we probably won't get as far south as FL, especially not with the likes of Tropical Storm Catrina (I've been paying attention to the news, can't you tell?).

Thursday, August 25, 2005 8:37:00 AM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

One of my passions is looking at real estate websights. I will certainly be on the lookout for your next home. Heading south sounds good. I know it won't be as south as my location, but having you at least a few miles closer would be good.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 5:53:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home