Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What's In A Name?

I have of late--but wherefore I know not--lost all my mirth

Recently, I have lived through an event that has changed me forever. So much so, that the name Princess Greenpearl no longer suits me. I no longer have the false swagger and attitude that brought me to choose such a name for myself as "Princess". I am no longer the self-declared expert on all random things.

However, unlike Hamlet, I will find my mirth again. And that is why I didn't change the name of this place. I am prone to whimsy; I always have been. I will not forsake that about myself, no matter what. Even if I'm too blue to lift my head from the pillow, I'll force myself to find an amusing shadow on the wall or to find the hilarity in my misery (or somebody else's, if I happen to be watching American Idol at the time).

So, if you are looking for a change of drastic proportions, I'm afraid you will be genuinely disappointed. Changing my name has been a sort of molting for me. I'm still the same old snake, just with a new skin. Or, rather, I'm still the same old can of Diet Coke, but now I'm decorated with bubbles. It's just an upgrade to the image.

In the parlance of Dungeons and Dragons: I've gone up a level. You can expect me to write about things that strike my fancy. You will still learn about my girls, my Doc. Whenever I have a triviality I must deconstruct, it will be here. But it will be delivered not by a princess, but rather by a sassy dame with too much education and more life experience than she bargained for.

Seacrest out.

8 Comments:

Blogger gennifer6 said...

Leaving Diana for Kate Hepburn....life has a way of doing that to you. Congratulations, you've gotten wiser. Doesn't it suck?

I noticed at our lodge meeting, however, the name "princess" does suit you quite well, though I think you're looking at it in a different light than I am.

I took the beautiful (and dark) parkway home from J's that morning and had a strong thought about how you are just "hot shit" and had to laugh to myself about it, thinking you don't know just how hot shit you really are.

Of course you don't know everything, that's why you're still alive. You're still learning. But give what you do know the respect it deserves. You see swagger and attitude, I see knowledge and confidence. To-may-to, to-mah-to. :)

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 4:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Honestly? I don't think I could stop the swagger if i tried. If I see a catwalk, I must be fierce and strut. I'm born to swagger.

But I've been steeled. If anything, I have more of a right to strut these days, but less of a desire to.

However, I am delighted you think I'm "hot shit" (that is a compliment, right?) because I think you are one of the coolest people on earth. Some day we'll have to talk about what it means to be hot shit, because, I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. I also like talking about me and what people think of me. ;-)

Thanks for your comments, as always. From one sassy dame to another: we rule.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 5:00:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the words of my late Mom, "this too shall pass." You may always shutter at the thought of what happend as the years go by, but your initial feelings about yourself right now will pass. It is only your perception of things that has changed, not you. And once you realize this, it will make you even more confident than you were before and that strut will return ten fold.

Which brings me to "hot shit". Gennifer is so right when she says that. "Hot shit" means you are everything a person would ever and could ever want in a friend, partner, etc. You've got a great personality, a wonderful sense of humor and you are by far one the strongest people I have ever met. Now that's hot shit.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I guess I don't really feel bad about things nor do I feel like it's just my perception changing. In my brain and in my heart, I'm different. I only changed my web handle because princess felt so, I don' know, so 2005, so tapered-leg stone-washed jeans, so Brian Adams. Out of fashion for me, you know?

I have changed. I am as confident as I ever was, but maybe 3% more somber, 4% less swashbuckling. It is a microscopic transformation, but it is significant. As you can see, I'm having difficulty communicating accurately about this (although I'm sure someone knows exactly what I'm talking about).

Changing my name is just symbolic of the tiny transformation I've gone through. It is a public way for me to signify my new stance, however subtle the difference may be between it and my stance, say, a month ago.

I don't feel bad. I'm still the same person, only now I have a new layer.

[Napoleon Dynamyte] Gosh! [/Napoleon Dynamyte]

Thursday, April 06, 2006 2:42:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

I know what you're talking about!

Friday, April 07, 2006 10:50:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Gist.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:21:00 AM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

I wish I could explain it better myself, but you would just have to see you through my eyes to get it. Beauty and brains are a rare combination, beauty and brains and the ability to express them with flair is even more rare. It's also really hot! (That's why your husband looks at you the way he does.)
For example: Taylor Hicks. Why for the love of God is an old-school Goth chick like me drooling like a dog over this country-bumpkin? I HAVE NO CLUE. Whatever it is Taylor has that just makes me warm all over is the same thing you have.

The only reason I don't drool all over you is because I'm not gay and Doc's always in the room. ;)

Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, now, I'm going to put this comment page in my Favorites and look at it whenever I sense I'm losing my nerve. You all have said wonderful things about me and I'm never going to forget. I also plan on returning the favor at every opportunity.

xoxox

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:01:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home