Tuesday, July 11, 2006

How the Wiggles Saved My Sanity



I've been spending a week setting up a financial management system for work. It's been tedious and brain-splitting. When I hit my nadir, I described the how I felt to Big Orange: "I feel like I've got a dagger and a paper towel stuck in my right eye." I grossed him out with the image of a paper towel stuck in my eye; the dagger, oddly enough, didn't seem to bother him.

I've been listening to my work iTunes to help soothe my soul as I've slaved away, cutting, pasting, running reports, compiling If/Then formulas, derriving charts, and checking my math. I have the following artists/albums loaded up for bear:
  • Abba
  • Love Actually Soundtrack
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • Classic Soundtracks (Casablanca, Key Largo, Sabrina, etc.)
  • Clay Aiken (shut up)
  • Depeche Mode
  • Earl Scruggs and Friends
  • Elvis Costello
  • Kelly Clarkson
  • Madonna
  • Miles Davis
  • Panic at the Disco!
  • Mozart's Requiem
  • Tom T. Hall
  • Willie Nelson
  • Some random American Idol Singles
  • The Wiggles

Surprisingly, I keep loading up the Wiggles' album: Wiggly, Wiggly World, which showcases the Wiggles collaboration with important Australian and Kiwi artists such as Slim Dusty, Christine Anu, Rolf Harris (Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport), Kamahl, Human Nature, Tim Finn (of Split Endz fame), and Jimmy Little. Each tune is prefaced with an introduction. A Wiggle, usually Anthony, interviews the artists and asks them about the song they are about to perform.

I know I've been near the brink of insanity. Yesterday, I had proof positive that I'd been working on the spreadsheet too long: I thought the spreadsheet was sending me messages. It's possible! Afterall, the largest spreadsheet I worked on went to column CV (that's 74 columns, folks) and had 256 rows.

But, through it all, the Wiggles kept me from jumping out of my 15th floor office window in a fit of paranoid hysteria. They're cute, funny and their music is a salve to my soul. Maybe it's because I've enjoyed their music with my girls. Riley and I saw them in concert in 2004 (that's where I took the picture above). She's totally over them now, sadly. Maybe it's because they are actually very good musicians. Maybe it's their can-do attitude that's helped me climb this mountain of numbers. Maybe it's the silliness of "Another Cuppa" or the whistfulness of "Six Months in a Leaky Boat". Perhaps it's the sweetness of "I Love to Have a Dance with Dorothy." I really can't explain it. But I'm thankful for it nonetheless.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Moderator said...

Great. I'm going to have "Mashed bananas" in my head the rest of the day.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

BO, I could jump out if I want to. I'm in an old building...pre-concrete box. Those bad boys open up a good three feet. I wouldn't even have to contort myself to step out onto the ledge.

Grant Miller, it could be worse. You could Porcupine Pie stuck in your head. At least Mashed Banana's has dance moves associated with it...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:32:00 PM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

I certainly wouldn't recommend a Tool CD when faced with 74 colunms of pure Excel; if the wiggles work, you should work your wiggles. xcjqlgq

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Will do, G.

I'm not sure I've ever really listened to Tool. Maybe when my spreadsheet days are over.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Yeah, Big-O is a goofball like that! Hahaha!

I find it strange that the Wiggles gave you peace of mind in a world gone mad. I generally feel like setting something on fire when I hear them! But that's me.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Aw, come on RN. They rock! Maybe I can stand their music because I think they are hot and they set me on fire.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

haha! That could be huh? You Rock Flannery!!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, RN, at least we agree on something. ;-)

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home