Monday, November 05, 2007

Mind Vacations: Terry


Everynow and then, I run into fascinating people, often times right here. And I think to myself, "Self, I wonder what it would be like to live in that person's head for just one day." Terry is one of those fascinating people and, lucky for me, he's a dear friend of mine.


I met Terry one day in college. I had recently declared my major in Classical and Medieval Studies and I had made my way to our very own student lounge. Sitting there was a bearded fellow, who was sipping a cup of joe from a Dr. Who mug. We immediately hit it off when we discovered our mutual love for low-budget BBC sci-fi.


We spent several years together, struggling to translate Latin together and to understand the causes and effects of moves made by the ancients. Everyday, he'd reveal some facet of his giant brain and I'd be knocked over in wonderment. Terry has a wonderful speaking voice. He can recite the poem Gunga Din in its entirety and with dramatic flourish. He speaks several languages and can quote the greats in their original tongue.


We drank together, studied together, shared each other's heartbreaks and heart joys. I don't think I've ever met such a passionate man. He is an all or nothing kind of guy. He spends hours reading the obscure and listening to beautiful music. He dotes on his huskies and his wife. He is a true friend who has wise counsel at his finger tips.


Back in the day, he proudly drove a Yugo. He gave me my first real job teaching computers to disabled veterans. We spent a weekend with our CLAM friends at a renaissance festival, where there was no greater lord or gentleman than good sir Terry, or Christian. His roots are Appalachian, but he's a renaissance man through and through.


I would like to spend a day in his mind, thinking eriudite thoughts...in the original ancient Greek, Old Norse, or Old English. I would like to experience his great passions and share my heart as he does. I would like to sit in his easy chair and read Robert Blake poems while sipping a fine wine.


While I have been struggling to master telepathy, I don't think I'll be successful in our lifetime, but a girl can dream, right? So I'll spend some time over the next few days, thinking Terry thoughts and living life to the fullest. I will let the words of Catullus float in my brain (in English...I can barely remember my Latin) and smile sagely as I do so. I will savor Tolkein's never-ending prose and finally admit that The Lord of the Rings Saga's every word is important. And when I make an obvious blunder in understanding the complex or abstract words of someone else, I will say, in my best valley girl voice (as he is prone to do): Awesome! Can I have a beer?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

What a great post and idea. I'm worried though that once there inside his mind, you'd find out the Greek, Old Norse and Latin words for 'wow, look at the rack on her'.*





*My original comment was much dirtier but I just couldn't do that to Terry.

Monday, November 05, 2007 7:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

You're next, Dale...


I'm more likely to say: Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.




Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.

Monday, November 05, 2007 7:18:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plures gratiae meus carus Jen.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:28:00 AM

 
Blogger deadspot said...

I always thought it would be cool to learn Latin. But I also thought it would be a lot of work. And then I got a Playstation.

Um... I used to be pretty good at Zero Divide.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:45:00 AM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

Great post Flan, and thanks for using a photo from one of my favorite movies of all time.

I still remember the tech nerd putting on the helmet before sex with his girlfriend...

"Come on honey, it's for science!"

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Yeah, and then the other guy in the movie died because he kept playing the sex tape over and over on a loop. Not a bad way to go, I suppose.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

::sigh:: I'm always just a mite bit sad when I realize how much fuckin' FUN college was, and how awfully TEDIOUS real life is.

Does Terry have a website? I think he should read Beowulf to us, or excerpts from The Illiad. Serious!

I've got th' perfect Latin plaque for all teachers... I'll have to post it later this month.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:48:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry's wife here: Yes, reading a little Blake, sipping a great Merlot, a fire in the fireplace NOT smoking up the house like he did the cabin on our honeymoon!...ahem....THAT is the fireplace kids!!!! and listening to a little Corelli...NOTHING BETTER!!! Kisses honey!

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:36:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home