Wednesday, January 24, 2007

These Bright Stars Are Bummed

And so am I, frankly. On top of my recent bout with bronchitis, I've also been struggling with Major Depression. Since Zach and Mandy have stepped forward and announced they both have been struggling with minor depression, I have gained the courage and strength to step forward too. I'm getting help through pharmaceuticals as well as counseling.

In the past, medication has always helped me get back on track and counseling has done zippo. So, I attended my first counseling session on Monday with trepidation and found it surprisingly helpful. Karen has given me some tips to help me reduce my stress levels and I thought I'd post them here for Zach and Mandy and you, though they may not apply to everyone as not everyone spends 3 hours in the car commuting to work each day, nor do they have children. If neither of those apply to you, you probably won't need these hints. But then again, maybe you might. Here are my stress reducers:
  • Turn my car into a luxurious sanctuary, such that I can't wait to get in it each morning.
  • Bring some fruit and some protein to eat along the way for energy.
  • Do not listen to the news.
  • Listen to books on tape.
  • Introduce some scents such as pine into the car (pine is a stimulant).
  • Don't talk on the cell phone.
  • Get my children on a bedtime schedule where they are tucked in by 8:30 p.m. so that I won't be tempted to push back my bed time to get some me time or some me and Doc time.
  • Add up my salary plus benefits to see what I'm really making at my job.
  • Go for short walks during the day to get some exercise and some sunshine.
  • Laugh more. Even if it means laughing for no reason at all.

So far, I've tried a few of these things and they are helping. But i'm still having trouble with the laughter. And here is where you guys come in. If I'm going to laugh more, you all are going to have to raise the bar and make everything you write funnier. I'm a tough crowd these days so you will need to aim high. Think of all the help you will be giving people like me and Zach and Mandy by just going that extra mile and stretching your funny bone till it hurts. I've thrown down the gauntlet; will you accept the challenge?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger dirty said...

My kids told me the other day that they rarely see me smile and it took them telling me that to see that I have some issues.

I send my kids to bed at 7 sometimes so that the husband and I can have some alone time...it's a good thing that half the clocks in my house are wrong. They are always in bed by 8 though on the weekdays though...otherwise they are impossible to deal with in the mornings.

I's nice of you to think of Mandy and Zach...they can use all the support they can get right now in these hard times...you know with all their money and fame...hard times.

Hang in there...like one of those kitty posters...that's what my dad used to say.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:40:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

** who the hell are these people?

** she's right: DON'T listen to the news. A) there's nuthin' you can do 'bout it anyway, it's outta yer Sphere of Control (AND influence) B) it's depressing

** NOW you tell me to be funny right after I post up all that academic, heavy shit...

** Cymbalta is my new BFF. I LOVE what that stuff does for my biochemistry. Raise a glass to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors!!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:22:00 PM

 
Blogger dirty said...

I never watch or listen to the news and I get the weather reports by looking out my window...it does lead to some carefree times.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:47:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She forgot to tell you that dominating Guitar Hero on expert will bring you blissful happiness for life.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Amy: Too true!

Dirty: I like the way you think! Also, I laughed at something Riley did the other day and she said, "I've never heard you laugh beofre." These are dire times. I need to unwind my own funny bone.

BO: These people are celebrities. Zach Braff is on Scrubs and in the movie Garden State (which totally rocks: see it, you'll love it). Mandy Moore is a movie star and recording artist.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:48:00 PM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

ugh...I must be down on my celeb gossip, I had no idea those two were a couple..isn't he a bit older than her?

the doc has good suggestions...diet and exercise are HUGE in controlling depression...maybe seasonal??

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Genn6: Apparently they've been dating since she's been barely legal. They were engaged.

And my depression is seasonal: winter, spring, summer, fall...

Friday, January 26, 2007 8:27:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home