Thursday, November 09, 2006

Earworm Memories

Walter Egan's Magnet and Steel

After I started going to school, my Mom went back to work. Therefore, I was put into the care of our neighbor across the street, Darlene, after school and in the summertime. She had two teenagers, one of whom was a young lady named Lynette. Lynette was constantly doing her hair and fighting with her mother. Fortuantely, I think I only spent one summer with this mother/daughter after school special waiting to happen.

During that fateful summer, we had passes to Lake O'Pines, a not so local swimming hole. It was a man-made lake with campgrounds. I truly hated to go there. The "lake" was brown and awful, the sand was large-grit and the kids were either malicious or indifferent.

I would wake up in the mornings we were going to the "lake" filled with all the dread a five-year-old could muster. I would wait in their living room while Darlene snapped at Lynnette over whatever was annoying her that day. We'd finally all be ready to leave and pile into their dark blue Buick. By the time we got into the car, Lynette and Darlene would no longer be speaking to each other.

Darlene would reach over and snap on the radio, faitfully tuned to WHBC, the local easy-listening station. They had a pretty constant play list and Magnet and Steel would be on as we drove down the long, tree-lined road to Lake O'Pines. I can remember the smell of the car, the chill of the air conditioning, the small silver levers that controlled the power windows, and Darlene complaining to Lynette about how vain she was. And this opera of bitchery was set to the lilting sounds of Walter Egan's plantive pipes. Ah, good times.

Ooh ooh ah
Now I told you so you ought to know
Ooh it takes some time for a feelin' to grow
Ooh you're so close now I can't let you go
Ooh and I can't let go
For you are a magnet and I am steel

I can't hope that I'll hold you for long
Ooh you're a woman who's lost to your song
Ooh but the love that I feel is so strong
Ooh and it can't be wrong

With you I'm not shy to show the way I feel
With you I might try my secrets to reveal
For you are a magnet and I am steel
For you are a magnet and I am steel

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Frank Sirmarco said...

Opera of bitchery...

...very nice!

Thursday, November 09, 2006 1:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Thank you, Frank. I pretty pleased with that turn of phrase myself.

Big Orange, there are more uncomfortable babysitting stories in me.

Dirty, I'm not sure why I've got such good memories, other than I've always been a good observer.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 1:28:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was quite impressed with "opera of bitchery." Nice work.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! Love it! (Both the detailed recollection and the cheesy pop ballad.)

I blogged about America a few days ago, and afterwards for some odd reason, this song came to mind.

Friday, November 10, 2006 8:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Thanks,karrie! Maybe this song is travelling through the collective unconscience and it will soon be on the Billboard Top 10.

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:03:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home