Monday, November 06, 2006

Official Revision Of Self-Improvement Goal 1: Improve My Handwriting

Recently, I had the pleasurable experience of my annual performance review. In it, we reviewed my goals from last year, one of which has always and will always be this: Become more organized/manage time and deadlines better. I explained to my boss my own self-improvement goal: To improve my handwriting. I explained that I worried there were sometimes errors in billing because people have mistaken my sevens for ones, etc. So, I've been working on writing more legibly.

"Oh, don't bother doing that," she said, "Just buy a typewriter!"

So I did. It just arrived on Friday and it's sitting in a box in my office. It is a Smith Corona WordSmith 100 Electornic Typewriter.



I can't wait for an invoice to come in so I can start to tap away on its keys. I'm looking forward to the quaint noises it will make when I turn it on and begin to type. It will be like this: "Hummmm....zap...zap...zap... zap...zap...zap...zap ...zap...zap...zap ...zap...zap...ding! It will growl when I pull the paper out with out undoing the release lever, which I'm sure I'll do. I look forward to lining up the paper correctly so that the WordSmith 100 will type precisly 1.5 millimeters above the lines on the form. And I will treasure my pink or goldenrod copy as legibile evidence of what I ordered for future refence.

I will be reporting on my experience back in time as I type forms. In the mean time, let me leave you with this poem I wrote last March:

Ode on a Requisition Form
--after Keats "Ode on a Grecian Urn
Thou blank, crisp face with blanks to inscribe,
Thou three part NCR form; pink, yellow, white.
I tremble with anticipation and sweat with fear.
Will I complete you correctly? Will you flow through
The twists and turns of approvals and eyes?
Will you become the purchase order I desire?
***
Your fields, unscrutable, I check my codes.
The codes, byzantine and nearly uncrackable.
Is software an office supply? Or does it have its own code?
These answers I cannot divine, only uncover
With the help of the toughest teacher: experience
As you sail back and forth from clerk to clerk.
***
Still, a part of you stays with me, the pink part.
You rest in my file, chronologically side by side
With your brothers in sequential order. I protect you.
I bring out the pale copy of the original that you leave behind
To defend my word and work against those who stand against me
Tyrants in a teacup, holding their rules close to the vest.
***
Woe to the tyrant who questions your authenticity!
For I have copies of quotes and prices!
I've followed those rules I was able to uncover
And I have written them down to pass on to those who come after me.
Oh, yes, tyrant, your empire shall crumble!
Your gates will fall. And work shall be done in half the time!
***
But this requisition shall sustain me. I will sing your number,
Again and again until your metamophosis is complete
Until your items and services are delivered
Until your invoices are paid.
Thou shalt remain in the midst of other records
Boxed, archived, tallied, charted, reported and closed,
And I shall inform my replacement:"Documentation is truth, truth documentation"--that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need know.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I've always wanted dramatic and pointy handwriting, though I confess, I have dotted my i's with circles in the past.

Monday, November 06, 2006 10:13:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

BO: I have revised Self-Improvement Goal 1: Improve My Handwriting, henceforth to be referred to as SIG.1. In the revised goal statement, I will use a typewriter rather than a pen as a device to improve legibility in all my documents.

The purpose of SIG.1 is legibility; with the acquisition of the WordSmith 100, I have achieved that. Therefore, I will be moving from "legibility watch" to "continuous improvement." In just a month, I expect to be at 100% legibility and earn myself "blue ribbon" status.

I realize, though, that there will be occaisions when using handwriting is necessary in order to accomplish a task. In these cases, I will continue to concentrate on achieving the level of legibility of my penmanship that I predict I will have using the WordSmith 100.

So, my SIG.1 has not been thrown out the window, just refined to demand much less time, strain and personal effort on my part. Hopefully, you will see improvemnet in my handwriting legibility on your personally addressed Christmas card that I very seriously intend to send this year, which will also include a personal and handwritten note. But that activity will be defined at a later date under SIG.4.

Details of the mechanics of my new friend, WordSmith 100 will follow once I have a chance to experiment with it.

Monday, November 06, 2006 1:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home