Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mother, Do You Think They'll Try To Break My Balls?

For years, I've never understood what the appeal of Pink Floyd was. When I was 11 years old, I did buy a 45 of "Another Brick in the Wall" because of it's anti-school sentiment and because they played it at the roller rink. Secretly, however, it's message scared me. I liked school. I needed an education. Also, as a child, I had an irrational fear of being an orphan. I had seen a community theater production of Oliver Twist and it flipped a switch that caused me to dream about being lost or abandoned to nefarious orphanage owners or the military. This song's children's chorus reminded me of Oliver and his friends. However, I am a grown up now. My abandonment issues are, for the most part, resolved. I shouldn't really let that get in the way of enjoying what could be one of the best bands ever.

As an adult, though, I've been turned off by Pink Floyd, partly because of the lingering feelings of unease when I listen to their music. Also, most of their music that I have been subjected to via the radio or cover bands is so sleepy and lugubrious, my brain sort of shuts down at the first few notes.

However, I have many good friends who adore Pink Floyd. These are people I've shared good times and bad with. They were all at my wedding. They are trusted confidants and keepers of cool. We have many things in common, but Floyd is not one of them. Well, they have Floyd in common, but I've kept myself staunchly off that love boat.

Genn6 & Elizabeth


Doc


And Big Orange


In the past, it has amused me to rile them up by denying the greatness of Floyd. Each one will give you many reasons why this band is worthy of worship. In fact, Elizabeth just told me that she considers Pink Floyd to be the most innovative rock band ever, even over the Beatles. But now it's time for me to grow up and face the music. Besides this morning I dreamed that I was bitten by rabid rat and it gave the day a decidedly Floydian twist. So, on my way in to work this morning, I listened to The Wall in its entirety for the first time. Here are my impressions:

Pros

  • The guitars are amazing. Sometimes they drift too close to Dire Straits territory, but over all, I found the guitars to be really wonderful.
  • One of the singers is great. He's the one who sings Comfortably Numb. Don't know his name but I like the way he delivers the lyrics. He's sensitive without being squooshy. His tone is lovely and he sings in tune.

Cons

  • Let's talk about the other singer. I'll call him either Drunken Zappa or Sober Tommy Chong. His voice is adnoidal and shouty. There is one song where he is so off key, that it must have been intentional. I understand that some edgy musicians like to write music that is atonal and therefore edgy, but they piss me off. So, I was immediately filled with hate for this joker. Cachophany and atonality need to be used with a gentle touch, in my opinion and this guy uses a hammer.
  • The length of this album is excessive. I found the overall scope of the material to be overblown and self-indulgently grandiose. Perhaps in the 80's when totalitarianism was a fear that was being shoved down our throats left and right due to the pending and ominious date of 1984, this album could have been sold to me as art or social commentary. But it edges too close to Mr. Roboto territory for my tastes. In my opinion, Revolver is a better album. The Wall has not stood the test of time.

I'm sorry my dear friends. I am no closer to appreciating Pink Floyd than I was before my rat bite. Perhaps I would have better luck with Dark Side of the Moon. However I do recognize that Floyd is an innovative band. They really pushed the envelope with what they were saying and how they were saying it, in that time. I will give them props for that.

I think what we have here, though, is a fundamental difference in music philosophy. I like my rock and roll to sound like rock and roll. I was raised on the Beatles, Led Zepellin, the Eagles, Roxy Music, Elvis Presley, and the many fine artists under the auspices of Barry Gordy in Motown: The Ronnettes, The Temptations, The Supremes and so on. I want to experience the human condition on a much more intimate level than Floyd offers. I don't want my mind to be blown, I want my heart to be blown.

When I want my mind to be blown, I'll just call one of the lovely people pictured above and talk to them.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Too true.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I don't want to have to get "mellow" to understand Floyd. As far as I'm concerned, they are talented musicians, but they are not my cup of tea.

I'm sorry they don't rock my world, but that doesn't make me a filly-steeen. :-p

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flannery, you are not alone! I HATE Pink Floyd, mostly because of my own associations with it. Floyd is what my little bro' has always played whenever he's feeling particularly suicidal, and every time I hear a Floyd song I am sucked back to the feeling of helplessness I experience while sitting outside his locked bedroom door awaiting the worst. Cheery, huh?

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 3:42:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Okay now Flan, good buddy, pal o' mine!

First of all, I corrected myself during our phone conversation. I know at first I said that they were more innovative than the Beatles, but then I changed my mind and said they were as equally innovative. If I were only aloud to have one CD and the choice was between a Beatles CD and Pink Floyd CD, I would choose Pink Floyd.

I also find it interesting that you think the Beatles sound like Rock-n-Roll. True, the earlier stuff did, but the later stuff? I've heard way too many complaints about "When I'm 64".

The Beatles were at their absolute best when they were creepy with songs such as "Helter Skelter" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". "Helter Skelter" is about a roller coaster, hardly scary, but the balls-to-the-walls sound is pure metal (extreme rock, more then the average listener could handle back in the day). The lyrics to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a bit dark for sure and not rock at all.

Really, Pink Floyd started were the Beatles left off. They're trippy, sexual, intellectual complexity is breathtaking.

Megan,

I've been suicidal plenty of times in my life. Pink Floyd's music can simulate an out of body experience. I can't tell you how many times it's given me just enough spiritual relief to help me to get through. I listen to Pink Floyd all the time now, but when I was a teenager I mostly listened to them when I was bottoming out. They were always there when I needed them, when I felt helpless. Pink Floyd's music is like floating on water and letting your heartache slip away.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:53:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

P.S.

The Wall HAS TO stood the test time! It's far more innovative than anything new on the radio right now.

So there!
:P

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:02:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In high school, when we were all chossing our 'classic rock band' to devote our lives to, some choose the Dead, some Zepplin, some The Beatles, I choose Pink Floyd. So, obviously I couldn't disgree more. I would definately recommend Darkside of the Moon. The Wall gets alot of press, but Darkside is really their best album with far more blues and jazz influences I think you would appreciate.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:42:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Wish You Were Here is my favorite.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:30:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth - It's like choosing which of my sons I like the best.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:06:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Phil,

You're right! There's no choice but to love them all equally.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:58:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth - So wait. He's listening to Pink Floyd to make himself feel BETTER? Oh thank god. For real. I never thought of it that way. Thanks for explaining. "Wish You Were Here" is the only Floyd song I can listen to without becoming upset. I might even go so far as to say I LIKE it.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:09:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Megan,

I'm glad I could help!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 5:24:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home