Monday, December 11, 2006

Do You Like Me? (Circle Yes or No)


Megan tagged me; she wants to know about crushes I have had. It's always fun to mine this vein; it's rife with dashed hopes and lonlieness and plenty of opportunities for character building.


*****

She didn't tell me how many I should talk about, so I'll go with a few from the middle school era. You know about one already. I think I can come up with three more.


*****






Greg Burlingame. He was the strong, silent type. In the fifth grade, we played a lot of quiet games of tether ball. He was really good at tether ball. I don't think we ever talked, but we lived the metaphor of wrapping a ball attached to a rope around a pole, only to undo it and repeat for the duration of each recess. It was very zen. We went to separate middle schools and I didn't see him for three years. When we rejoined in high school, I rarely ever saw him. I think he joined the vocational school taking up horticulture or auto mechanics. But occaisionally, we'd pass in the hall and I'd wonder if he remembered our tether ball days.






*****

Tom Kelly. Tom was a cute little blonde who rode my bus. I was in lurve with him throughout the entirity of my middle school years. He reminded me of a young Johnny Carson (so hott!). However, he was not the least bit interested in me. At one time, I sent him a note, telling him I liked him. But Tom, ever the staunch diplomat, never responded one way or the other. So, I was left to dangle, wondering. I think, in retrospect, he must have been gay.




*****


Terry Cross. Terry was my best friend's dad. He looked a bit like Harvey Corman. He used to restore classic cars and golf. He had a dark tan and dimples. I believe he was the first dimpled man to move my heart. He smoked merit cigarettes and loved Jackie Gleason. He also thought I was funny. Of course, nothing ever came of this. He was at least 30 years older than me.




*****
So there you have my crushes: Greg Burlingame, the man who taught me that silence was golden; Tom Kelly, a man who taught me that I could do better; and Terry Cross, who gave me my Achilles' heel and made dimples my kryptonite.

*****

I tag Doc, a major hotty with dimples, curly blonde hair, blue eyes and the best ass I've ever seen. He also thinks I'm funny, which is more important to me in a partner than I'd like to admit.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dirty said...

Awe...you're in love...gotta love that! My husband thinks he is high on the humor scale...that in itself is funny :o)

Monday, December 11, 2006 11:56:00 AM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 12:32:00 AM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

I had my own tetherball tootsie. We were in 3rd grade and his name was Dwayne.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 12:34:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home