Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Flannery's Health and Beauty Tip

In Cleveland, drivers don't seem to really see pedestrians. It's been quite an adjustment for me, having returned to this city after working on campus at The Ohio State University, where pedestrians rule. Since I started working in Cleveland, I've had to be physically held back on several occaisions from walking into the street, while a car driven by a Mario Andretti wannabe is barelling towards me out of nowhere, with no intention of slowing down for my defiant ass. I've started to give in to the idea that I'm just going to have to yeild to the cars. It irks me, though, because it is my firm belief that pedestrians have the right of way in every situation. Period. However, I prefer to choose my battles and I don't think I want to die on this hill.

However, I do stop short of rushing to get out of cars' way when they have to cross into my territory: the sidewalk. I was walking into work this morning, past the entrance to the parking garage. I was inclined to pick up the pace becuase there were several cars waiting to enter. But then I looked down at the sidewalk and noticed dark patches. Those could be wet spots, those could be ice. I slowed my pace further. The cars could wait. I was not going to take the chance by rushing along the sidewalk, thinking it was just wet, and realizing after my ass hit the pavement, that yes, it was wet, but also frozen.

I advise you to do the same. When walking the frozen tundra, if you happen to live in one, take your time and choose your steps. Afterall, I would hate to see you get hurt. I would hate even more for you to look stupid, laying on the ground with your feet in the air. Trust me, it's humiliating and, in the immortal words of the Dirk Gently, you're better off being a little bit late with your dignity intact than on time and a mess.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen sister..

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 12:48:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Cleveland drivers are vicious. Even thought I've always made sure to cross the street when it was my turn, they still came after me. I shake my head at all the Cantonians I see cross the street without even looking. Those people would all be dead if they lived in Cleveland.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 4:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Doc said...

Yes, please be carefull fellow travelers. Arrive with you dignity intact, 'cause most of us don't have a lot to spare.

Doc

Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:51:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home