Thursday, March 22, 2007

Why I Wish I Had Laid Out The Eighty-Seven Bucks To See Justin Timberlake In Concert


I regret heartily that I didn't throw thrift to the wind and shell out the dough for a fair-to-midland seat for the recent Justin Timberlake Concert. It's not just the fact that he delivered quite a show, according to Genn6's accounting. Right now, he is at the very peak of his fame so far and I feel like I've missed being a part of a cultural phenomenon.

Granted, a Justin Timberlake concert is no Woodstock or LiveAid concert, but it is significant event in music. Here is a man who was able to shake loose the stigma associated with being part of the Mickey Mouse Club and N'Synch and really blossom into an artist with significance, significance being record sales. To me, he seems to be at the apex of his career so far. He could continue to rise in significance and become an icon, ala Bono or Madonna. He could make successful album after successful album and maybe even influence world events. He could also slide away and become a characiture of himself, ala Elvis Presley or Cher.

In this post-arena rock, microcosmic world, a girl has to really dig to find a culturally significant event that is both significant to her and in her price range. So far, in my life, I've suffered great disappointment in the culturally significant events I've attended. Among the disappointments, I would first have name Hands Across America as the greatest offender. I was fifteen going on sixteen and I was totally stoked to be apart of a nationwide and literal get-together for charity. When we arrived on Route 62 in Alliance, Ohio there were plenty of people, but not enough for us to stretch across the highway and hold hands. We were all a good 20 feet apart. What a bummer.

Since then, I have looked for smaller venues to find that magical connection with the people around me. For instance, I went with Doc to see the movie "Old School" at a theater after 9:00 p.m. on a Saturday night, which meant the audience was full of people around our age. There were no kids and no annoying people. Sitting in that theater and laughing with a group of strangers numbering in the hundreds was more of a connection to humanity than Hands Across America could ever be, in my opinion. It was a small event, to be sure, and we weren't trying to end hunger or anything, but for a couple of hours, I felt a part of something.

Now, going to see Justin Timberlake in concert at this moment would probably qualify on the drink size scale as a "Large" event (not small, medium or supersized). His concert tour probably won't change the world. But for those few hours, a couple of thousand people and I would be connected together through music that is innovative, cutting edge, sexy, and understated. The show would be visually stunning what with the light show and all the dancing. And all of my thousands of new BFF's would have seen Justin Timberlake at either his launching point into superstardom or the moment before his downfall. We would have cultural braggin rights, to be sure.

Sigh. Life is too short to pass on culturally significant events. When I'm an old woman, I want to be able to pull a box of momentos off a shelf when my grandchildren come to visit and show them some really amazing things. For now, I have momentos from buying the sixth Harry Potter book at midnight the first day it went on sale. I have concert ticket stubs from bands that have since been inducted into the Rock Hall. I also have stubs that I will never admit to having. I want to show my grandkids that I lived. I soaked up what I could, when I could. I want them to see me as someone who was connected to this world, and even if she wasn't on the stage, she was in the audience for something great.

You may say, why not just see Justin on his next tour? I could do that, I suppose, but by then he'll be either sinking or catapulting and not at this interesting crux he is currently on. He'll either be over or the tickets will be even further out of my price range. I've missed the Timberlake window. But don't worry about me; I'll get over it. Believe you me, I've got my eye on the horizon and when the timing is right, I'm going to dive into the sea of humanity and soak it up.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Great post. I've got acouple regrets as far as missing events go. Never saw Nirvana. Missed the first two Lolapaloozas.

Probably my biggest event was attending the Bulls second playoff game against the Lakers in the finals. It the game in which Jordan switches hands in the air, the replay is shown at almost all NBA events. Plus it was their first Championship, Jordan and Magic meeting in the finals. Their ascent and descent crossing paths.

Speaking of Old School, I lost that games ticket stub in a tragic college screaking incident.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:17:00 PM

 
Blogger K.I.D. said...

My friend's husband just took her to see JT.

Apparently, he was P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:00:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't this the turd who ripped the boob off Michael Jackson, or something??

Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:04:00 PM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

Ticket prices have become so high, for almost any person or venue, that I no longer can afford to see anything live.

I wouldn't shell out 87 bucks to see the return of Jesus with an opening by the Beatles...

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

That's why I love free events. Though I mourn the loss of seeing concerts live. In reality, I can't afford to spend $87 on a ticket, not even for Jesus and the Beatles.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:29:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not make a whole huge event out of seeing him, Flannery?

Quit your job and be a roadie for his tour for the summer.

THAT would be something to tell your grandkids.

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Dale said...

I want your grandkids to pipe down. Man they're needy! Just go.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home