Tuesday, March 04, 2008

In The Zone

Sunday may qualify as one of the best days of my life so far. It was a better than average day but there was one section of it that was quite exceptional. I was making Almond Romaine Sesame Salad, which called for me to crush up two packs of ramen noodles, mix them up with almond slivers and sesame seeds, and brown the whole mess in butter and sugar. I was standing at my kitchen counter, busting up ramen noodles with my bare hands, listening to baroque music on the radio and NOT THINKING.

I was totally focused on a task and completely absorbed. That never happens to me. I've usually got a running commentary going through my head or I'm facing constant interruptions. But the two biggest interruption perps were otherwise involved: Riley had a school friend over and Lucy was taking a nap. Hours unraveled in my little kitchen while I was able to just be.

Of course this screwed me for Monday, when very little of my time is my own. But, what the hell! Now I have a benchmark for this level of mental activity. Sure, my day got started off in a panic when I forgot I was presenting at a meeting first thing. But that didn't turn out too badly as I had already prepared for the meeting the week before and it got bumped back. Then, I was held over on quitting time on a support call. Then my kids wanted to hang from my neck all evening; they were complete barnacles. All day I missed that totally zenned out state of mind and was trying to figure out how to recapture it and get it to work for me in other places than the kitchen.

So if you ran into me yesterday and I was a little prickly; I apologize. I was in full on porcupine mode. If you have any suggestions for reaching that amazing mental state more often; I'd love to hear them.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Splotchy said...

If you have any suggestions for reaching that amazing mental state more often; I'd love to hear them.

SMASH MORE NOODLES

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

Woooow. YOU were all the way down to BLUE.

I'm hovering somewhere above green right now, going just up slightly now that th' Lost Boyz be home and are blastin their rapp into my Cave of Wonders.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Castallan said...

I really like http://zenhabits.net/

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Hmmmm... Well, I've heard good things about raw cacao beans for promoting mental clarity. Someone gave me a big bag of them recently & I've been munching them. Haven't noticed a difference yet -- although they're kind of fun to eat.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Moderator said...

I'm glad you were specific and noted it wasn't just classical, but Baroque music. Nice touch.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:15:00 PM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

The only time Kathy and I have that is "Skyler-free" is after we put him to bed for the evening. Then we still have to listen for him in case he needs to be repositioned, and we have to get things ready for his school stuff the next day.

Do you have any evening time that can be considered kid free and able to zen out?

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

SKY DAD: uh, if you REALLY need Sky-free time, there's room at Possum Lodge....

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:49:00 AM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

God love ya, sister, I couldn't be a Mom for all the tea in China.

Good luck to you
talk soon

Thursday, March 06, 2008 8:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Evil Genius said...

Going to grocery store to buy ramen to smash. This better work!

Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:26:00 AM

 
Blogger vikkitikkitavi said...

You might have to wait until your children are grown up.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:24:00 PM

 
Blogger Pezda's Ghost said...

I don't understand. As a guy I can frequently and without much effort free my mind from thought.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:42:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home