Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ok, Y'all...I'm Stripping Today




Yes, I'm taking down the wallpaper in my kitchen. At first glance, it didn't seem to be a big job; I have wood panelling (yes, I know, gag me) that goes up about 4 feet off the floor. There's not much wall to cover. But the wallpaper is turning out to be a bitch to get off. So I consulted my local paint expert, Mark, who let me in on a professional secret: 2 parts hot water, 1 part vinegar, and a capful of Downy and that shit will come right off. You have to scrub it afterwards a couple of times, but it's got to beat the DIF crap I've been using and failing with.

I'll keep you posted throughout the day. I think I can get done in one fell swoop. I've had a Diet Coke and some beef jerky. I've got the tools and the talent. Wish me luck.






*********






3:18 pm: I've got one wall in the entry way clear. That formula works! I wish Poor George were here to help me peel the wallpaper off; it's just like peeling sunburnt skin! And only one injury: a barked knuckle:

********

5:48 p.m.: Elizabeth arrived with the steamer! Huzzah! We'll be done in no time.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing us your war wound Flannery, I just want you to know that all of America supports you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beef jerky should provide the sustenance you need. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first thought that popped into my head: "nice hands!! You should have modeled for Palmolive!"

    Second thought: "fine choice in bandages! I wonder if WE have any her at Possum lodge-- 6 men, 20 power tools, endless amounts of splintery wood and I'll just BET absolutely no Band-Aids..."

    third thought: "'Elizabeth came with the steamer'. Is his name 'Stanley', I wonder?"

    fourth thought: "the narrative stopped at 6 PM. I wonder what happened next? Did everyone stop to listen to Garrison Keillor and the story of the All-U-Can-Eat Christian Chinese Buffet??"

    Thought six was that my back hurt and thought seven was wondering if there was any coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wait! Thought six came after reading Sky Dad's comment and was Levon wears his war wound like a crown/he calls his child Jesus/'cuz he likes the name/and he sends him to the finest school in town..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you had a weekend of steamy stripping with E?

    How did you find time for remodeling?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope George doesn't give you the same look he gave me the other day. It was creepy. Truly "Night of the Living Dead."

    ReplyDelete
  7. SD: I'm just doing my part.

    Some Guy: It was a good choice. And when Elk Jerky is not available, it will do in a pinch.

    Cap'n: You think too much.

    Deadspot: har, har, har...

    CP: Honestly, get him a job peeling wallpaper; it will cure the itch to peel, let me tell you.

    ReplyDelete