Saturday, May 16, 2009

Chicago Dreams and Tiaras

So, I had this dream that I was going to Chicago to meet up with Bubs and the gang. I was driving around the city trying to find the place we were to meet. I had Doc in the car with me and we found ourselves on top of a tall building. We weren't sure what to do, so we looked around at the other cars. They were ramping off the buildings and landing on the streets below, no harm done. So I hit the gas and we were airborne. We landed with a thud and turned the corner to find our destination.

It was a white plantation style house, straight out of Atlanta. I knew then that Beth must also be joining us and I worried that I might not have packed a tiara. Doc said, "Don't worry, Darlin'; I'm sure they sell those in there."

Well, needless to say, I did finally make it to Chicago to meet with Bubs and Ms. Bubs and the lovely Nora. Sadly, there was no driving off buildings, nor was there any Beth or tiaras. But it was wonderful none the less.

We had agreed to meet up at the famous Hala Kahiki Tiki Bar and I arrived first. I let them know that I'd be there in a black sweater and my hair would be standing on end due to the high humidity. I found a place to park and grabbed the swag Doc had sent along with me, which included several Vampirella comic books, a Starlog magazine from back in the day and a few other comics. As I made my way through the door, I could smell the stale cigarette smoke which lingered even though the place was probably now smoke free for several years. I headed into the bar and tried to get the attention of the waitress.

"Are you selling something?" she asked, noting the books I was carrying.

"No, I'm meeting friends," I said.

She gave me a table and an eight page menu of drinks to entertain me until the Bubs's arrived. I flipped through the menu and watched the door as I wondered how this would go. So far, I have met Chris, from Some Guy's Blog, Coaster Punchman and Poor George, Beckeye, and Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein and I shouldn't be concerned as these have been delightful encounters, to be sure.

And it was.

Let me tell you, these are some of the sweetest, funniest, warmest people I have ever met. We chatted as we sipped our tropical drinks and watched the place fill up. Nora joined us and was as delightful as could be. After a while, we decided it was time to eat and made our way over to Gene's and Jude's for some of Chicago's famous hot dogs. Though, according to Ms. Bubs, they weren't the most authentic ones, since they lacked celery salt and some other key ingredients. But they were the bomb.

We headed back and said our goodbye's to Nora, who had school the next day. This time we were seated by a window that overlooked the atrium at the tiki bar. There were flowers and plants and a pond with a fountain, all dramatically lit by the thunderstorm. We chatted some more and had another drink. The waitress took our picture and then we decided to call it a night.

We parted company with promises to meet again. I told them to keep Groundhog's Day open. I also vowed to find a way to get Doc out to see this amazing place and meet these lovely people.

If you ever get the opportunity to meet fellow bloggers, I say this: Do. It is always a joy.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Joy is good. Bloggers is good too. Glad you had an awesome time.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:21:00 AM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

Oh we've met, trust me. That chamo painted face in the bushes with the night vision gear?

Yeah, that's me.

Glad you had a good time!

Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:26:00 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I've always felt like Bubs was one of the brothers I always wanted but never had. I'm jealous you got to meet him before I did. ;0)

Monday, May 18, 2009 7:50:00 AM

 
Blogger BeckEye said...

I want to meet the Bubses!!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:41:00 AM

 
Blogger vikkitikkitavi said...

Oh, so Grant Miller wasn't there, buying you drinks? Too bad. Maybe next time.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

You know, I had a dream, but it turned to dust... I guess I'm winnin' anyway.

MY dreams o'er the last fortnight or longer have been simply awful. I guess you're hoggin' up all the Good Dream Karma for this area...

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Cormac Brown said...

Cool, sounds like it was a bunch of fun.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:41:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home