Thursday, February 24, 2011

Uncle Ralph Chimes In: Execute!

People waste a lot of goddamn time. They waste a lot of time dithering about this or that. I'm tired of all the indecision, chief, and I'm here to show you how cut out unneccessary mental processing so you stop wasting my time.

I always hear you talking about giving people "the benefit of the doubt." This means that you start every interaction trusting people. There's your first mistake, Johnny. You've got to let go of that instinct that everyone has some good in them. That kind of thinking may have worked for Anne Frank, but it won't work in this day and age. People need to earn their credibility.

If we all assume we are all untrustworthy from the get, there'd be a lot less heartache and drama, I guarantee it. And a lot less time wasted on waiting for these cheeseholes to follow through with what they promised to do. There's many a scoundral who count on your credulity, sport, and use it to their benefit and your expense.

Next step to saving time: never order Italian food in a restaurant in the Bible Belt. My neice dragged me to Nashville for her annual nerd migration. Jesus Christ, you'll never seen more buttheads in one room than you would at the Nashville Comic Con. But we were staying at a Hampton Inn and didn't have a car. So, we had to rely on the hotel bus to get around. My neice, being the kind of girl who tromps along where the wind blows her insisted that we get the driver's advice about where to eat. "He's a local," she said. Local, schmocal, says I. I mean, he was wearing diamond encrusted horseshoe ring, for Chrissake! What the hell does he know about a decent place to eat?

He asked us if we liked EYE-talian food; he had a favorite in mind for us. My neice of course said yes. She loves Italian food. We're from the northeast and we've got real Italians in our town who make real Italian food. What's not to love? I was skeptical. I didn't recall seeing any Italians wondering around the Nashville Music Center. I didn't see any Italian restaurants between the airport and the hotel, other than 'Sbarro, if you can count that, which I don't. I don't remember seeing any shows on the History Channel about any "Great Italian Migration" trapsing through the south, dropping pockets of immigrants who carried with them hundreds of years of traditional Italian cooking. There is no reason in the world that the meal we were about to eat would be memorable other than by the misery it would cause.

And I was right.

I might as well have ordered ramen noodles with ketchup on top. When I asked for crushed red peppers, our waitress looked at me like I'd asked for an Alpha Centauri Whoredog. But rather than admitting she didn't know what the hell I wanted, she suggested that she could come back with some fresh ground pepper, the old condiment standby. But I ate this abomination abondanza and thought of my possibilities in the afterlife as a distraction. It was gross, son.

I don't fault the driver; how the hell would he know good Eye-talian food from a kick in the nuts? But I say this: If you want a particular type of specialty food, don't get it in a place not known for that thing. You wouldn't order hush puppies in Milan...so don't order Italian food in the South. Trust me on this one; it'll save a lot of time. And you can trust me; I've pulled your dumb ass out of more tight spots than you've got holes in your head.

And don't give me that business about how I shouldn't judge the entire Bible Belt's Italian food offerings based on one experience in one city in one state. I'm sure some people there know Italian from Shinola. But I'm not going to waste my time looking for a noodle in a haystack, bub. And that's what I'm talking to you about right now: My time and not wasting it. And I'm sharing my wisdom with you, so don't you give me any lip.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger SkylersDad said...

I have traveled extensively, and I wanted to just add that nobody makes good Alpha Centauri Whoredog anymore.

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

How on earth did I miss this post? My little sidebar thingy tells me when people post, and many of my stalkees are not posting often any more. (Which makes it easier to keep up on the reading, but still.)

This is fabulous! I'm going to check out some of U.R's earlier rantings.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:51:00 AM

 
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Oh, and another thing: "Local, schmocal, says I. I mean, he was wearing diamond encrusted horseshoe ring, for Chrissake! What the hell does he know about a decent place to eat?"

Reminds me of several things. One time in a suburb in MN a local tried to send me to The Olive Garden when I asked if there was any decent Eye-talian around. And when PG first visited his friend in backcountry Mississippi, they had never had spaghetti. In like 1993, they had never eaten spaghetti.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

SD: It's a shame, isn't it?

CP: I don't know how you missed it. Should I continue to email you? ;-)

No spaghetti since as of 1993? My point exactly. Or rather, Uncle Ralph's point exactly.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Commander Zaius said...

Jesus Christ, you'll never seen more buttheads in one room than you would at the Nashville Comic Con.

Try a gun show down here, people who never owned a gun in their life buy one after seeing all the gun nuts worshipping weapons. Hell, it scares me and I'm related to some of those people.

...so don't order Italian food in the South.

Yeah, a very bad idea even now. Most local places their spaghetti tastes like the stuff from a 1970's Chef Boyardee box.

Thank God for Olive Garden.

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:26:00 AM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

"People waste a lot of goddamn time. They waste a lot of time dithering about this or that."

Uncle Ralph must have spent some time as a phone rep for an insurance company...

Meanwhile, I think we need to encourage him to run for prezzy-dent!!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:01:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home