Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Our Little Sacrifice

Doc and I are terrible with money. Neither one of us wants to be responsible for bringing home the bacon or frying it up in the pan. We don't like keeping track of it either. As you can imagine, we are, therefore, in debt. Some of it is good debt, some bad. I've been following allong with the Budgeting Babe's blog, looking for ways to unwrap the mystery of money management. She's got some great ideas and some of her topics are over my head. But I keep checking in. I've subscribed to her blog so that I can see it everyday on my homepage and remind myself of the wisdom of Snoop: I've got to keep my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

Fortunately, Edwina, my subconscious, has generated a solution to money management for me. A couple of weeks ago, my parents were getting ready to go to Gatlinburg, Tennesee for a long weekend. They were driving and taking our car DVD player with them. My Dad was flipping through my DVD books seeing if there were any they'd like to watch on their trip. Every now and then, he'd find one he liked or one he was mystified by, like why we have the complete opus of Lee van Cleef.

"What does our movie collection say about us?" I pondered aloud.

"You spend a lot of money on movies," he said, matter-of-factly.

"Huh," I said.

That short interaction stayed with me as we moved all of our stuff into our new place. Boy, oh boy, do we have a lot of stuff. We don't need all this stuff for sure. Doc and I have tons of books, movies and music CD's. Probably thousands of dollars worth. Get this, though: no one will pay us a penny for them. I didn't know what to do about our money situation. How can we save money? How can we still have fun? I didn't have any answers, so I let Edwina handle it.

Last night, as Doc and I sat in the garage, Edwina handed me the idea fully formed. Well, first she handed me an action, then followed it with a justification. I turned to Doc and said, "Wanna make a pact?"

"OK," he replied, "What kind of pact?"

"Let's swear off buying movies for one year. That means we don't go to the movies, we don't buy DVD's, even if they are a buck."

"Alright," he agreed, "I'm game."

I thought for a moment and then said, "We'll let Mom take the girls to the movies, if she wants to, but we won't go."

"Can we ask for movies as presents?" he wondered.

"Sure," I answered, "That sounds fair; it would give us something to look forward to."

This decision felt so satisfying. I knew Edwina had pulled out a winner. I also began to think about what kind of difference this would make in our budget:
  • No more Netflix...savings $11.99/month
  • No going to the movies $30.00/month
  • No buying DVD's $20.00/month
  • No renting movis $15.00/month

That's nearly $80.00 a month savings, nearly enough to cover the cable/internet bill. If we can be disciplined about this and commit to a year without movies, we would save almost $1,000 in a year. That's the price of a short vacation or a down payment on a new car.

"A year without movies," Doc pondered, "now there's a book."

"You should write it," I said, as I always do, "We should write about it on our existing blogs." I didn't want to create another blog to monitor.

"OK," he agreed.

So, consider this our first day in a year without movies. I was very pleased with myself until I saw the preview for X-Men 3. Shit. I'm going to have to miss that one. Maybe next year I'll just drive myself in my new car to see the new Harry Potter movie. Yeah, that's the ticket...

9 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

You are a better person than me. I have a list on my wall of movies I want to see. Starting with The Da Vinci Code this weekend which I am splurging to buy on Fandango to make sure I get tickets.
And people will pay you for those movies you own...on Ebay. I bought several on there when we first got a DVD player. Just a thought!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Um, can I borrow Edwina? I've got a few things here that need working out and'uh...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:57:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Remind Edwina that we're all seeing the Da Vinci Code together. It was one of our many hot tub conversations last weekend.

OMG! Hot Tub Conversations! How does that sound for a reoccuring article in the you-know-what?!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 5:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

RAVEN: Well, we pitched all the cases for the DVD'S. Not sure how much they're worth without them.

RN: You've got an Edwina too. It's the observation method for finding a solution. Just pay attention to what's going on around you and record it without analyzing it. Keep it in the back of your mind right next to the question, "what should I do?". Eventually they'll introduce themselves and work together. It works when you don't have to make a snap decision.

It's just a habit of mind.

JJ: I hear ya', Babe. It's going to be tough. But we need to start changing what we do and we need to be able to keep track of it. I gotta go cold turkey. Thanks for your 100% support!

BO: As for borrowing from the library, I'm afraid I'm too irresponsible for that. I end up losing the books or paying outrageous fees. Ditto for video rentals. I'm too much of a princess to go to the drive in and actually enjoy myself, it's too uncomfortable.

Cable suits me fine. It's a flat fee and I don't have to go anywhere to hold up my end of the bargain.

MADAME E: I gotta go cold turkey. Maybe you and JJ could see it together?

As for Hot tub conversations...that's steamy! Put that idea in the file!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:13:00 PM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

I don't know, you guys invest a lot of time and energy into movies, I wonder if cold turkey isn't a little harsh.

Is there a way to get more channels or movie channels through the cable and then eliminate the other aspects of the "movie" bill. If your cable bill goes up $30 and your movie bill drops to 0$, there's $50 extra in your pocket.

What about cutting your movie bill in half?
Are there cheap theatres in town? I have one up the street from me that is $3, they show movies after first-release but not too long.

you can still have your movie fetish, you'll just have to readjust it. ;)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:27:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Oh, dear, if it's become a fetish, we really should quit for a while! Besides, I will still be seeing movies on cable. I have hundreds of movies in my DVD books and at least 5 large boxes of VHS tapes. I'd be glad to provide reviews of those movies.

I think reviewing something like, say, Grease 2 in this day and age might be more entertaining than my opinion of the Da Vinci Code or X-Men 3. I'll see those movies eventually.

Doc and I love movies, but it's not something we're addicted to. We will suffer no withdrawl symptoms. Besides, I'm trying to lose weight and I just eat too much when I go to the theater, especially if a trip to Don Pancho's is on the schedule.

So, fret not, my friends. This is a controlled experiement. I am interested to see what impact it will have on our lives and on our finances. Besides, it's not like anyone's asking me to give up TV. Now that would be a hard habit to break.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:00:00 AM

 
Blogger T said...

I love the idea. And I am envious of your discipline.

I agree though, The Da Vinci Code is not something to be missed. Where can I send the check? Seriously. Ask Gennifer for my e-mail.

Good luck with this pact too.

T

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:46:00 PM

 
Blogger T said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:47:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, my birthday is coming up...

;-)

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:58:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home