Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Earworm Infestation

Thanks to Chris over at Some Guy's Blog for planting an earworm and starting an infestation in my head. I won't tell you what the earworm is; click the link, if you dare. I'm back to work after a week and am slogging through emails. I can't entirely blame him for my mental state. The work I'm doing is tedious and dull; my mind is fertile ground for the little buggers. Even though I've got iTunes running, I still find such horrors crawling around in my head such as:

  • Bus Stop, by the Hollies.
    Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say
    Please share my umbrella
    Bus stop, bus goes, she stays, love grows
    Under my umbrella

  • Johnny McEldoo, by the Clancy Brothers
    There was Johnny McEldoo and McGhee and me,
    and a couple or two or three went on a spree one day
    We had a bob or two which we knew how to blew,
    and the beer and whiskey flew and we all felt gay

  • I'm My Own Grandpa, by Lonzo and Oscar
    I'm my own grandpa.
    I'm my own grandpa.
    It sounds funny, I know,
    But it really is so,
    Oh, I'm my own grandpa.

  • Piccolo Solo from You Can Call Me Al, by Paul Simon
    If you'll be my bodyguard,
    I can be your long lost pal!
    I can call you Betty,
    And Betty, when you call me,
    You can call me Al!

  • We Built This City, by Starship
    We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll
    Built this city, we built this city on rock and roll

  • Hurdy Gurdy Man, by Donovan
    Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, gurdy he sang.
    Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, gurdy he sang.
    Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, gurdy he sang.

One could study my earworms and see a pattern developing. If a song is annoying and repetitive and the grammar is poor, it sticks to my brain like a nettle. And it won't go away...that is until I pour earworm repellent on it. What's earworm repellent, you ask? I'll tell you: Any Oompa Loompa song from the original Willie Wonka movie. Trust me it kills earworms dead.

Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-do
I have a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-dee
If you are wise, you'll listen to me...

4 Comments:

Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Do you remember when we were kids and there was a little piece of music that played right before the main feature in the movie theater?

Doo-de-do-de-doot-n-doo-doot-n-do-do. Ta-ta-taah, ta-ta-taah. Doo-de-do-de-doot-n-doo-doot-n-do-do. Ta-ta-taah, ta-ta-taah.

THAT is what's been dancing around in my brain for the last two days!The craving for popcorn and Goobers have been endless!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I do remember it! It runs through my brain too.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Some Guy said...

Earworm is a new term for me. My education continues...

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:46:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Chris, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it in your vocabulary.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:37:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home