Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What Does John Tesh Have Against You?

Last night, I was driving my family home after a long evening of waiting. Doc threw his back out and I had taken him to the urgent care center. We spent a better part of three hours reading several months worth of Time Magazine under the blare of a women's basketball game on TV. The kids probably had a good time, though; they were at Grandma and Pop's.

At about 10:30 p.m., we finally were able to head home. I had the radio tuned to WHBC and as we were backing out of my parents' driveway, I heard the soothing tones of John Tesh's voice. We were in time to catch Intelligence for Your Life.

"Excellent!" I said as I turned to smile at Doc. He winced back at me in pain.

As we were maneuvering our way through my parents' allotment, John Tesh began one of his life lessons for our benefit. Do you know what he said? He said that online friends were not as good as "real friends." He said that it was more important to build interpersonal relationships face-to-face. He asserted that after breaking up with someone, it is better for you to cry on a real friend's shoulder rather than to write about it to your "online friends."

First of all, let me just say that I was mightily offended by this on your behalf. I find that my "online friends" are just as valuable to me as my "real friends." Of course, I can't really cry on your shoulders, but then I have antidepressants for that, so who cares, right? Also, you all tend to be way more objective than my "real friends." You guys never soft peddle things. I know exactly where I stand with you. Besides, I never really know what I think about a situation until I write about it. (That is a paraphrased quote from someone famous...which I'm sure some of you can name without hesitation or at least find it quickly on Wikipedia). My online friends? Smart, honest, and resourceful.


And what about my "real friends" who are also my "online friends"? Should I prefer their presence physically rather than digitally? What about those real online friends who live far, far away? I am closer to some of them through our "online" relationship than I was previously. Besides I can't afford to traipse around the country in order to cry on their shoulders. John Tesh, I am not made of money!


Now I do have friends who are real and not online. I have fun with them. I can understand the benefit to socializing face-to-face with them. So, I'm hip to what JT is trying to say, here. Let's not lose our humanity to the likes of MySpace and Blogger. But then, if online communication is so bad, why does he have a blog? Why is he saying things like this:


"Welcome to my blog everybody! I will be writing in every chance I get to let you know what's going on in my life as well as on the radio show. I will be sharing with you news about concerts and some of my favorite bits of intelligence. Check back soon. Thanks for visiting."


Take heed, John Tesh, that you practice what you preach. I don't want to check out your blog and find you bitching about the way Connie folds the towels or crying about how she bought you the lavender bath bomb instead of the rose and vanilla. And don't expect any comments from me. God forbid I should have anything to do with the chipping away of your "humanity," that is if you're really human.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

Well, John Tesh music is not as good as "real" music.

Fun blog...found you through that ol' deadspot on the web.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

The list of people on your enemies list is growing. Let them quake with fear!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:02:00 PM

 
Blogger The Boob Lady said...

Screw John Tesh. He's clearly a frightened little man.

I love you Flann! I'm a real boy!!!!!!!!! (Actually I'm a girl, but I just watched the Shreks...)

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:52:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

And yet, you still love him.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:57:00 PM

 
Blogger K.I.D. said...

Holy crizap! How could La Tesh be so unfeeling?

Blogging has actually HELPED me meet people face to face and forge true interpersonal relationships.

Whatta DOUCHE.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:06:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm too tired to make any really pithy comments: 18 hour days will do that to you (I don the Red Shirt ay-gain tonite!!)

Lest we forget, tootsie-- our whole COUNTRY is FOUNDED on hypocricy!! (heard this saw before??) For those who haven't heard my rant here it is: The Pilgrims left England because they wanted religious freedom and to worship God on the basis of correct principle. THEN they got here to the states and what did we start doin' almost immediately? Corn-verting them crazy Pagan Native Americans!!

So, if our whole COUNTRY is founded on talking out both sides of our mouth, why wouldn't JT say it as well? Besides, if HE'S trying to be a real boy, too, he's gotta do what everyone else does when in Rome.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Dale said...

John Tesh? Wasn't he just out on the Suck and Blow tour with Yanni? He's not a 'friend' of yours is he Flannery?

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:40:00 AM

 
Blogger dirty said...

I like my internet friends far more than I like the people I have physically in my life. Clearly he doesn't have the internet friends that I do...

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Beckeye: True! And thanks for stopping by...

Phil: I've only just begun revealing my enemies.

Boob Lady: I love you too!

Elizabeth: Of course!

K.I.D.: Word!

B.O.: JT should be beyond hypocracy. I'm shocked, frankly.

Dale: Not yet...

Chris: Yes he does. Though maybe he was trying to reach out to the youth...but, what I think he doesn't realize is: kids who obsess on MySpace are not listening to his show.

Dirty: Poor JT.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Frank: You said it!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

I, too, enjoy my blogfriends. This John Tesh fella seems to not know what he's talking about.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

Hi Flannery, my new BEST friend! (I met you at Dale's). John Tesh is a wiener.

Now help me with my latest problem and prove your love to me.

:)

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:02:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home