Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm On The Brink Of Giving Up On Lindsay Lohan

I recently acquired a copy of Lindsay Lohan's second album: A Little More Personal (RAW). No, I didn't buy it; I got it from the library, mainly because she covers "I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick.

I've been a fan of hers since The Parent Trap and I've staunchly defended her through what I was thinking was her "wild phase"; hoping against hope she'd pull a Drew Barrymore and start using her brain towards something more worthwhile than duking it out with the likes of Paris Hilton.

But she lost me with the first track, which is so self-indulgent, I wanted to spit up. Long gone is the bright-eyed spunky young actress. In her place is a vain, selfish vamp who is giving her own personal tragedies way too much gravitas. Behold just a small sample of the lyrics...

Confessions Of A Broken Heart (Daughter To Father)

Daughter to father, daughter to father
I am broken but I am hoping
Daughter to father, daughter to father
I am crying, a part of me is dying and
These are, these are
The confessions of a broken heart


And I wear all your old clothes, your polo sweater
I dream of another you
The one who would never (never)
Leave me alone to pick up the pieces
A daddy to hold me, that's what I needed

Oh, lord. That girl is one part of an abusive relationship waiting to happen. I hope that doesn't happen to her, but Jesus, she's advertising the fact that she has "daddy issues," which tends to invite huge, dominating, asswipes into one's life.

Ah, well. It's no longer my concern. I will continue to hope that she turns things around. In the meantime, I will no longer defend her.

By the way the cover of I Want You To Want Me is good, but suffers next to the above track, making her neediness even more cloying. I think someday, LL will be embarassed by this album. Hopefully.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Some Guy said...

Those lyrics are pretty crappy.

I wish her happiness as I would any person, but that doesn't negate the fact that I think there are people more deserving of the level of notoriety she receives.

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:11:00 AM

 
Blogger Frank Sirmarco said...

I bet the record label hired someone to help her with those lyrics - they're so deep.

If pop-culture has taught me anything, it's that Lindsay is about 12 months away from a Playboy pictorial.

Yay!

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:26:00 AM

 
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Wow, I thought Madonna and Britney were having problems with their music careers. She should've just done a cover album.

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:59:00 AM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

She sure has some hard miles on her. I was shocked to hear she recently turned 21! She looks way older to me.

Monday, June 25, 2007 12:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Evil Genius said...

She can't bounce back because she hasn't hit rock bottom yet. I invested a lot of stock after the parent trap as well, so I am still pulling for her. However, Frank's scenario also has its merits.

Monday, June 25, 2007 12:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Moderator said...

I like her more and more everyday.

Monday, June 25, 2007 4:12:00 PM

 
Blogger deadspot said...

Really, Flan? You think this album is the thing she'll be embarrassed by?

Monday, June 25, 2007 4:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Creatively, yes, deadspot.

Of course you do, Grant Miller!

Evil Genius, What would be rock bottom for LL? To me she's sunk low enough already!

Skyler's dad: if only she had parents who weren't total dipshits, maybe she wouldn't have stayed in an adolescent self-destruct mode for so long.

WP: Totally.

Frank: Oh dear.

Chris: Indeed.

Monday, June 25, 2007 4:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

I think she has already had a huge, dominating, asswipe in her life. Her father.

Monday, June 25, 2007 5:56:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's combine comments:

Frank, let's hope she DOES pose, then Evil Genius can REALLY pull for her ::ahem:: which will bring her notoriety.

Meanwhile, I want it on record that I am shocked-- simply SHOCKED-- that anyone would be CAPABLE of publishing or writing bad lyrics in 2007!! I mean, we have such high cultural standards this sort of thing is almost beyond imaginaning.

Monday, June 25, 2007 7:22:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Well, those lyrics aren't so bad. I've heard worse. Should I publish the poem I wrote about my father years ago? Hmmmm, a bit scary.

In her defense, there isn't a girl alive who doesn't have daddy issues. If you have a lousy dad, then there's all kinds of crap with that. If you had a good dad than your husband's short comings seem worse than they are.

Also, the girls at work read the National Enquirer (surprise, surprise) and according to enquiring minds, Lindsay is dating the daughter (yes, daughter) of Mick Jones, lead guitarist of Foreigner. There were pictures. She looked sober and happy.

I think she'll be okay. Have faith!

Monday, June 25, 2007 8:58:00 PM

 
Blogger BeckEye said...

Why are you still standing on that brink? Come on in, the water's warm!

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:39:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

I take it back. Worry, worry a lot!
http://www.celebslam.com/?cat=588

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Evil Genius said...

Flann,

Rock Bottom is when the tabloids stop looking.

BO,

I am sure with the fame and notoriety you have promised me that one day a little "bearclaw" action on my part will be all it takes for her stock to rise again.

That or if she just does my movie!

Monday, June 25, 2007 11:57:00 PM

 
Blogger GETkristiLOVE said...

Lindsay Lohan is a musician?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 10:37:00 AM

 
Blogger Dale said...

I am embarrassed by the album so I can't imagine how she feels. Is it the real reason she's in extendarehab?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:40:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I've gotta say, the movie idea to which EG refers is brilliant, and if you don't know what he means, click the link in his above comment.

I find _Surrender_ a much more fun Cheap Trick song. Maybe if Lindsay sang that "Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright..." she would find it healing...

Monday, July 02, 2007 3:35:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home