About 2:00 p.m. the Groundhog's Day festivities began. We had a houseful: six under 15 years old and nine over 15 years old. We had food and drink and drink. I started out with Orange Crush and Vodka. I think I had three. I tried a quarter cup of Cherry Ale, which numbed my tongue on impact. I had a glass of wine and a Budweiser. That's a lot of booze for someone who doesn't usually drink. I'm hoping I didn't make a complete ass of myself. But everyone had silly hats on, so I'm thinking that I might have blended in to the crowd. Then again...
Here is a list of things I did:
- Ate veggies
- Invitied my new neighbor over while wearing a black hat with a large red feather in it and a serape
- Got into a hot tub that was 112 degrees...requested passerbys drop ice chunks into it
- Tried to figure out the Spaudio system but was frustrated, causing much supressed mirth in my cohorts
- Called a co-worker and left a voice mail demanding he join us
- Got into the hot tub again, got too warm
- Exited the hot tub with my lovely sister-in-law to hike 25 yards through frozen grass, clamber onto the trampoline and jump
- Laid on the trampoline with my lovely sister-in-law and stared at the stars for a good 20 minutes...in wet bathing suits
- Returned to the hot tub
- Called it a night
- Woke up at least 4 times to chug 3 glasses of water each time, finally and biolgically understanding the meaning behind the song "How dry I am"
- Finally gave up trying to sleep at 5 a.m. and watched Columbo and Murder She Wrote
- Hung out with my neice when she woke up at 7 a.m. and proclaimed everyone should be up by now
- Felt pretty good as I helped my lovely sister-in-law toast the homemade waffles and English muffins she brought
- Played Pirate Dice
- Got suddenly and violently sick to my stomach
- Dozed off for an hour
- Woke up to the smell of tuna fish salad (does Doc hate me?)
- And ran to the back of the house and hid my head under the blankets until the nausea subsided
- Coaxed the girls in to snuggle with me
- Sent Doc on his way to the party
- Ate four potato chips and had a few sips of Diet Coke (sans Mentos...though, as I learned today: Mentos and Diet Coke will not make your stomach rupture, but I'm not taking any chances)
- Took Depeche Mode's advice and enjoyed the silence.
So, perhaps I didn't blend it; it is not my lot. But I had a blast and I don't think I was a huge jerk. I still have to confirm this completly with Doc, but hopefully, I have enough goodwill in the bank that folks will give me a pass. At any rate, I've been punished. My feet have been shredded by the ice. My knees are abraded from climbing on to an ice-encrusted trampoline. My hands are cut up as well. I've bruised my hips and my hair has taken on a life of its own. Don't worry, though; it promised to write often. One thing I didn't do, though, was watch the movie Groundhog's Day.
I think you all need to join us next year. Clear your calendar and figure out how to get yourselves here for the best party you'll never fully remember.