Monday, March 23, 2009

What's In It For God?

Really, I mean since He's all-knowing and all-powerful, why should he care about us? He knows how it's all going to end, right? There's no real mystery for Him. What is in it for Him? What keeps him tuning in from week to week? If you believe in predestination, we all have a plotline, story arc, and motivations that are obvious to Him. Is he some sort of divine Norma Desmond, spending time watching reel after reel of the Rube Goldberg machine He built and tapped into motion?

I'm not posing this question because I'm feeling bitter or anything. I've never really had the expectation that He would reach into my life and directly influence it in any way. I don't expect Him to see to parts in the machine that, in my opionion, should be adjusted 10 degrees to the left or should have their torque increased. I also don't blame Him when important pieces (to me) appear to fall off the table or break.

But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Whenever I see a Rube Goldberg machine in action, I can't take my eyes off of it either. Especially when I see (or do) the work that goes on behind the scenes to set it up. It's really impressive. Once it finally works, it's remarkable to behold and it's also important not to interfere with it.

So that begs the next question: Why build the machine in the first place? Did He just need some toast?


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger SkylersDad said...

I love watching Rube Goldberg machines, and I love Japanese TV shows. So this was a double win for me.

Have you noticed how every little thing sounds so dramatic and exciting on their TV shows?

Monday, March 23, 2009 11:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Doc said...

So we are here to make toast for God?

Maybe.

Doc

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

SD: It kind of plays like a documentary of world history, doesn't it?

Doc: A toast...to God! Anyone who puts so much thought into this celestial Rube Goldberg Machine is OK in my book...whatever the reason.

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

A vote for Deism like I've never seen explained in Philosophy 101!!

...but won't the water get cold by the time you actuallY GET to it, I wonder??

Monday, March 23, 2009 9:21:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home