Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights . . . always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

--Sullivan Balloou, Civil War Letter

I forget in my day to day life what love is. I move through the motions and apply myself to tasks on my list. I am frustrated, bored, amused, tired, pleased, surprised, and moved. But these fleelings are fleeting and I go to bed, get up and do it again. But there are moments when Lucy holds my face with both hands and kisses me sweetly and smiles. Or Riley shares a laugh with me about something that she just now understands. Or Doc laughs and pulls me into a bear hug. Or my Grandma emparts something profound from her life. Or my Mom struggles to hide the fact she's bluffing. Or my Dad lights up when the girls rush to greet him. Or Spooky spouts a perfectly crafted zinger. Or the Cap'n loses himself in laughter. Or Rachel nods after hearing me talk about the kids and says, "Just Wait..." And I remember love.

Love can be grand. It can be diamonds and Carribean cruises. It can be violins and chocolate. While these are soaring winds that can lift you for a while, I prefer the small, steady flow of love's everyday movements. If you feel the small breezes and note their movements, you will see how much love you have. Carry that with you in a small jar around your neck and open it up when things are bleak. Let the spirit of love soothe your throbbing temple.

And please accept this kiss I blow to you today. It carries with it my hopes for your that you are happy and loved.

Happy Valentine's Day, dear friend.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

You old softy you.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:35:00 PM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

That was quite beautiful Flannery, you captured love perfectly.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:25:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:28:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Dr: Yes, under this tough exterior I'm a bowl of sugary mush.

SD: Thank you, sir. I wasn't sure I had it in me.

J: It's a fair cop!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

"Sentimental hogwash!!"

c'mon, you know you'd be dissy-pointed if I DIDN'T say that!!

Things have been goin' pretty well o'er here @ the Manour, if I've got anything to say 'bout it: and we haven't even dipped into the V-day sour cream & onion ripply tater chips yet!!

Yarr!!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Mmm...sour cream and onion love!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Dale said...

I wanna know what love is...oh wait, I do. Happy love days to you and yours.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Joe said...

That was really sweet. Those simple pleasures and perfect moments are really great, aren't they?

happy Valentines Day to you!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

Sweet! I send you lurve too!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:01:00 PM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

That's V-Day all year 'round. ;) Happy Valentine's Day to yo.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:07:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home