Monday, August 31, 2009

Shaping up and shipping out

I'm turning this lurching barge of a life around and transforming it into a lithe sailboat that is complex yet fine tuned. One might say I'm trading in the African Queen for the True Love. I'm tired of getting caught up short on things. I hate clanging a wrench on the steam engine of my life to get it running. I'd rather do a series of graceful movements to make smooth transitions over placid bodies of water. I don't want to drag this thing through the swamps encountering leeches, slugs and all manner insects. Especially now, with two kids in school (gasp), I need to stay on top of things. And I'd like to do it with some panache.

Here's a list of what I've done so far:

  • Organized the kitchen cupboards
  • Removed the excess layer of crappy toys from the girls rooms
  • Set up a "cozy corner" in their bedrooms so they have a spot to read
  • Organized Riley's armoir...I ran out of time to do Lucy's drawers and closet yesterday
  • Rearranged furniture
  • Adopted a stern tone and voiced my expectations clearly and resolutely
  • Cancelled the cable (just internet and netflix. It's good for you...)

Doc and I are the baby and the only child respectively in our familes and let's just say that we've both experienced some discipline issues in the past. To put it plainly, we procrastinate. Well, not anymore. Now, it is my plan to get the work out of the way before goofing off. It's just like my Mom told me it should be. And I hope to have all hands on deck for this. I'm sure it's going to take more than a whistle to make it happen; we are all so daggone independent. But I think the benefits of teamwork will reveal themselves in this endeavor.

Mom was right of course. I'm happier when I leave the house and it's standing tall, rather than dashing off and coming home to one mess or another. Also, it feels good to have everything ready in advance. I'm hoping the feeling is addictive...and contagious. I'm also more open to others when I know I don't have anything hanging over my head. I want to be a better friend, daughter, mother, wife...

Wish me luck and bon voyage that I can trade my clunker in for style, grace and peace.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger SkylersDad said...

I give you until the end of the week, maybe...

Seriously, good luck with turning things around.

Monday, August 31, 2009 4:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Oh, SD...you know me so well. But this time I mean it!

Monday, August 31, 2009 4:27:00 PM

 
Blogger Some Guy said...

I'm rooting for you, Flann! I have done the same sort of thing when it comes to weight loss and beer consumption. I have limited beer to weekends and have stuck to my exercise routine for the last few weeks.

Monday, August 31, 2009 9:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Good for you, Some Guy! I need to layer that on next. Though, the beer thing isn't a problem for me.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 8:15:00 AM

 
Blogger Red said...

Good luck, Flann. If you make it, you'll be an inspiration to many, including me.

And God bless you for mentioning the True Love!

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Chancelucky said...

Cool, when you finish can you come do our barge too?

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 10:51:00 AM

 
Blogger BeckEye said...

If you have some time, could you come over and get my life on track? I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

ChanceLucky & Beckeye: Consider yourself added to the list. I love to tell people what to do.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Red--I thought of you when I added it. I want my life to be yar!

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 2:08:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home