Wednesday, August 19, 2009

If Doc's Huck Finning It, I'm Tom Sawyering It

snow 2-18-07 (3)


Recently, my friend and colleague, Valerie, posted the above picture on Facebook and asked if anybody wanted the furniture. I happened to catch the notice first and jumped on it with both feet. So as of Sunday, my family left and this furniture arrived. Well, my Dad and I went to get it. Of course, there is far less snow on it now.

Over all, the furniture is in decent shape. It's a bit weather-beaten and it might need some reinforcement, but, then again, who doesn't need a bit of TLC? So, my project for the week has been to beautify this wonderful Adirondack furniture.

Monday night:
  • Went to Home Depot and bought sea foam green stain, indoor/outdoor paint, brushes, etc.
  • Began to stain the furniture.
  • My mind wandered as I spread stain and listened to the crows and locusts. I was glad to be able to do this project uninterrupted with no one giving me advice or taking it over
  • My neighbor Wally walked over and took the brush from my hand and showed me how I ought to do it
  • I finished the stain, the 50% chance of thunderstorms falling in my favor
  • I walked over to the Tiki and had one beer on an empty stomach
  • I staggered home and hit the hay with some Murder, She Wrote

Tuesday night:

  • I grabbed a bite to eat on the way home
  • I goofed off on the computer for too long
  • I began painting the decorations on the furniture, whose stain looks lovely (I can't take a picture; Doc has the camera)
  • I completed the design on one of the love seats and nearly completed the other, but ran out of light
  • I had one beer, hit the hay with some Newhart

Tonight I plan on going straight home and finishing my designs while it's still light out. I also want to paint a quote or aphorism on the cross-pieces of the love seats. Something short and sweet. I was thinking maybe "Tempis Fugit," but I'm not completely sold. What do you think?


Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Whatever you do make sure you show us your handiwork when you get done. ;0)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Oh, I plan to!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:18:00 AM

 
Blogger SkylersDad said...

(looking over your fence like Wilson)
Hidee Ho neighbor! Nice looking stain you got going on there!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:44:00 AM

 
Blogger Red said...

According to some guy google found, it's "Tempus", but I think that's a fine thought.

Friday, August 21, 2009 10:30:00 AM

 
Blogger GETkristiLOVE said...

I think I want to see photos of your work, that's what I think.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Ugh! Tempus...of course. I took 4 years of Latin, you'd think that kind of thing would stick.

I promise pics soon. Due to a memory snafu, I have the camera and doc now has the charger. It's kind of like the Gift of the Magi for the victims of short term memory loss.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Dale said...

Good find and I want to see the finished product too. Are they doing a reality series around your adventures?

Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:49:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home