Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Season Five And They've Hit Their Stride

I knew great things were in store for us fans of American Idol this season. First, Ryan Seacrest gets a star and hosts New Year's Rockin' Eve (and Executive Produces). Then they overbloated the auditions portion of the season. Then, they gave us some really talented and interesting people to compete for our pleasure. No one really cracked under the pressure, except maybe Kellie and Ace. There were no trainwrecks, so to speak. And to top it off: the finale.

It was a finale to end all finales. My boy Clay showed up and I wept. Dionne Warrwick showed up and brought a ton of class to the operation. In the spirit of Paula Abdul, Toni Braxton came out and sang with Taylor as if she was on cold medicine and "pain killers." I swear, girlfriend could barely keep it together.

And wonder of wonders, Prince shows up! I nearly died. He was so hot. The songs were amazing. The backup singers/Solid Gold Dancers were awesome. Seacrest didn't even announce him, he just sort of pointed to the stage and said "American Idol." I nearly passed out on the floor from a good old fashioned case of the vapors due to the shock of a star of his magnitude gracing the AI stage. In fact, I'm surprised the stage didn't collapse under the weight of those heavy hitters.

Everyone sounded good...no...triumphant. All those years of watching AI since 2002 and Season 1 have paid off. All those hours watching this new show stagger and stumble its way to the top. It went from amateurish to cheeky to meta to out and out professional-fantastic! I've been entertained.

Way to go 19E. Way to go Clive Davis. Way to go Simon Cowell. Way to go Ryan Seacrest, my little dumpling. Here's to the best finale of the best season of American Idol evah.

7 Comments:

Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Yes, it was marvelous!

Sorry folks, the Toni Braxton reference is my fault. After talking to Flannery about the show and mentioning Toni's terrible performance, I reallized that was actually Mary J. Blige and HER terrible performance. It doesn't matter, they're interchangable and they both suck!

Hey Gennifer, your man took the prize! You knew it all along, you little music mink! Hee!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 12:26:00 AM

 
Blogger T said...

I'm with you Orange. I just don't get this show. Of course I really don't watch anything on FOX though. Ever since The Simpsons tapered off and (IMHO) got worse and worse, I just tuned in to other channels.

Not to mention that whenever I watched FOX News, I would pass out from hyperventilating. The fear-mongering on that channel is atrocious.

Oh, and I don't think Hendrix would ever play on that show. Not in a million years.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

It was really cool when Prince came out, wasn't it? I wasn't expecting that.

Too bad my crush, my dreamgirl lost, but that's okay. I'm still buying Taylor's album!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:37:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

You guys don't know what you're missing!

My favorite part of the whole show was during Taylor's song at the end. The camera cut to David Hasselhoff in the audience and he was crying like a little girl. It was a priceless moment in television history.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:32:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Hey! I just watched the Insider. I was right the first time, that was Toni Braxton. Apparently, Mary J. Blige was on, too. I was distracted by a phone call. I missed most of the first hour.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:55:00 PM

 
Blogger T said...

You mean...American Idol is longer than an hour???

Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:44:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

It's an hour on Tuesdays, a half hour on Wednesdays and the finale is always a two hour special.

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:30:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home