Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I've Been Tagged!

Thanks to my pal, Dirty for tagging me on this. Read her blog. I mean it. She's awesome.

So, my answers...

1)A Book That Has Changed Your Life:

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving
This book caused me to think about faith and what it means. It provides an example of someone who believes in God fervently and has a brilliant mind, not that these two conditions are necessarily rare...well...in my experience they are rare. It also provided an example of someone who doubted his faith constantly, even defined doubt as part of his faith. There was also a depiction of a character moving from doubt to fervent belief. It was fascinating.

As a novel, it is a fine specimen. The structure and the language are very powerful. I wish I could write like John Irving.

2)A Book That You Have Read More Than Once:

Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency, by Douglas Adams

In order to appreciate this book to it's fullest, you have to read it twice. Besides, it's funny in that way-out lateral way Douglas Adams always is funny.

3)A Book That Makes You Laugh:

Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris

When my mother-in-law passed away suddenly around Christmas in 2003, Doc and I found ourselves tramping back and forth between Cleveland and Newark (Ohio), a 3-hour trip, for the funeral and calling hours. We had quite a lot of time on our hands, which we filled by reading the above book aloud to each other. My cousin, Amy, recommended it to us and I had bought it as a Christmas gift for my brother-in-law. We had it with us, we were bored, I had found out that Rick really wasn't much into reading, so I busted it out and we read it to each other. This book made us laugh in the middle of mourning; I'd say that's a strong recommendation.

4)A Book That Makes You Cry:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I'm a total Harry Potter freak. I stood in line to buy The Half-Blood Prince book at midnight on the day it was released. Doc and I read OOP aloud to each other. By the time we found out that ::spoiler:: Sirius died, we just lost it. What a blow to Harry! Damnit...it still makes me very sad.


5)A Book You wish You Had Written:


A Son of the Circus, by John Irving

I am also a John Irving freak. I believe this book is underrated; it should be way more popular than it is. I wish I had written it because I would have had to travel to India, do the research and spend my days writing the funniest serial killer mystery ever. Alas...

6)A Book You wish Had Never Been Written:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkein

I don't get these books. I've never enjoyed them. I've read them, though. I liked the second book best because it seemed like they all might just perish. If I had a nickel for every moment I've spent listening to people extole the virtues of these long, rambling tomes, I'd be a rich woman, let me tell you...

7)A Book You've Been Meaning To Read:

Sustainable Leadership, By Andy Hargreaves and Dean Fink

It sits here on my desk unread. I saw Andy Hargreaves speak at a conference last July and he was fantastic. I just can't seem to crack the cover.

So, now I tag Big Orange, a jolly bibliophile if there ever was one, and Madame E, because she always strong and sassy opinions that fill me with mirth. And, while I'm at it Doc, since he claims to be in a slump right now; it'll give him something to write, I'd also like to hear what he has to say.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Lucky you. Although, I did enjoy the movies; they cut out all the extraneous crap Tolkein refused to.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Frank Sirmarco said...

I saw John Irving at University of Illinois (Chicago). He was in the middle of writing Widow For One Year, and read us the first chapter.

He also mimicked what he imagined Owen Meany sounded like.

Good time fun.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Oh, Frank, I envy you. I did get to meet David Sedaris once. He signed my book and a photo depicting four diseased tongues.

Good times, indeed.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 9:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I look forward to seeing it, BO. Let me know when it goes live.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:16:00 AM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:34:00 AM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Okay, all done!

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:01:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home