Wednesday, September 06, 2006

V For Vagabond

I'm zonked today. I've just returned to work after five gloriously chaotic days of vacation. We had a garage sale, we had company, we went to the fair, we started school, we helped my parents paint their house. Well, Riley started school and Doc was helping Dad with the painting, but still, twas a very busy week.

Last night, we got home from Mom and Dad's at about 8:30. Lucy was cranked. She didn't get much sleep the night before and was moving in and out of moods faster than I could keep track. Finally, Doc put her to bed as she protested loudly. Riley, sweet as she could be, fell asleep in our room watching Jimmy Neutron. Doc carried her off to bed at 10:00 p.m. I was just fixin' to doze off, like the good girl I want to be, when Doc mentioned he'd like to watch a movie we had borrowed from my parents: V for Vendetta.

I told him to go ahead and put it in, I was planning on sleeping, so it didn't really matter what he wanted to watch. But, damn it all! I got sucked in. The movie is full of low-talkers. I really had to listen closely to hear what they were saying. Worse, the main character, V, is masked throughout the whole movie, so no lip reading for me. I had to keep both my eyes and ears open.

Overall, I'm not sure I should have stayed awake for this movie. It left me feeling ambiguous. It had an interesting premise (one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter), but the costuming of V was so absurd that I felt on the verge of inappropriate laughter everytime he was on the screen. This movie took itself very seriously to the point of being hokey. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt because it is a movie Doc really enjoyed watching. But for me, the movie failed. It was too well-made to be a B movie. The story was strong. But it was not campy enough. I don't know. Maybe if I watched it from a more playful perspective, I might enjoy it immensly.

I have developed a theory about this movie that might have shocking reprocussions. Consider this, the four of you who have seen both of these movies, V for Vendetta is actually the pre-quel to The Postman. Discuss.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I love The Postman. It is corny, but its as patriotic and hopeful as corn on the cob on the fourth of July. That makes it my cup of tea.

I would definately prefer your mask to old V's mask there, for sure.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Doc said...

What dear flannery didn't explain is that the mask is a Guy Fawks mask, known for his attempt to blow up parliment by packing 500+ lbs. of gun powder under it in 1600 or so. This was known as the Gun Powder Rebellion.

Friday, September 08, 2006 11:10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home