Thursday, August 24, 2006

What's With China?

It seems very trendy, thanks to Tom Friedman and his tome of the century The World Is Flat, to talk about China, to go to China, to have Chinese people come here to visit us, and to consult with Chinese people to see how they have become such a success. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of China. I love reading about Chinese culture. Some of my favorite authors include Amy Tan and Pearl S. Buck. I wouldn't consider myself a student of China, but I am familiar with the land and its people.

What bugs me is this sudden frenzy by everyone in my industry to worship at the feet of the Chinese. They seem to be poised to be the next superpower and everyone is doing some pre-emptive ass-kissing. I think some interesting things are going to be happening in the next few years with regard to China, but I'm not prepared to hand the Chinese people the key to the city just because they seem to know how to make money and get things done.

In my experience, much of success is planned for; I'd say about 37%. The rest is luck and circumstance. I just wish that people could understand that just because a system, process, or way of life works like crazy in one place, doesn't mean it will work everywhere.

And, God, am I tired of hearing about China.

5 Comments:

Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Yes, but their cookies amuse me.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, you can bet your superintendent and central office people are reading that book, BO. It's all the rage with leaders around here.

As far as Japan goes, they aren't experiencing the economic surge that China is. They're so 1982.

mmm...fortune cookies...

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:50:00 AM

 
Blogger Raven said...

Think of it this way China is a few billion new consumers, cheap labor, do not care about trademarks, kind of people. Of course companies are going to kiss ass...and we have to deal with their cheap shoddy products.

Friday, August 25, 2006 6:59:00 PM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

Isn't Communism a BLAST?

China's acceleration into modern-day wealth and status has been very, VERY well-controlled by the government....everything from health care to earned income to forced population control, the Chinese government created this. this was no accident/luck/circumstance.
Western civilization now kisses the behind of the Chinese because they have created a society completely capable of fucking up the rest of the world if they really wanted to, and we all know it. If we bow to them now and play nice maybe we won't have to bow to them later at the United States of China...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I respectfully disagree, my dear G. It is accident/luck/circumstance. All of that government planning they've done accounts for 37% of their success. 57% of their success is circumstance. They are able to have that kind of control over their population because their people allow it. If we tried to follow the Chinese model, it would fail completely; our people are too independent-minded to submit themselves to that kind of government.

That leaves 6% to luck. The government has been lucky so far: they have not suffered due punishment for human rights violations, their people have not resisted the yoke of communism and over-government (they could, if they wanted to), and they haven't been the victims of significant terrorist attacks.

So, if you're from the US and you believe you should look to the Chinese for best practices for a better run society, I would say that, with a good plan, you have a 67% chance of failing to implement it.

As far as playing nice with the Chinese, it's always good to make friends before you need them. I'm not saying we can't learn from them. I just don't believe they have the answers that are right for us.

For the same reasons, I'm leary of our attempts to democratize Iraq. Just because democracy works for us, doesn't mean it will work for the Iraqi's. Our population was a willing participant in its own democratization; circumstances were right and luck was on our side. Iraq's population: not so much.

It's a case of international snake-oil-salesmanism.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:50:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home