Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I Feel A Disturbance In The Force

It's pretty early. I have the day off so I can take Riley to her first day of school. She's starting her second year of nursery school at the same one I went to. I'm really looking forward to hearing about her day.

Doc's taking his sweet time getting ready, so while I'm sitting here drinking a Diet Coke and trying to get my eyes opened, I checked my email. I get this nice note from my friends at Netflix:


Flannery, come back for only $5.99!It's easy to restart your Netflix membership! As always, Netflix offers:

  • More than 65,000 titles
  • No late fees
  • Fast, free shipping both ways
We've added lots of new titles while you've been gone, so come browse our selection.

-Your Friends at Netflix

If you recall, my family and I have sworn of paying for movies for a year. We are down to a mere 252 days left until the pact expires. That means we've gone 112 days. I'm really proud of that. Giving up something for a year really teaches one how long a year is, let me tell you. The biggest struggle has been gift buying. Usually I pick out the latest DVD or a classic DVD for every gift-giving holiday. This year I've had to get creative when buying gifts. I'm not sure how much money we've really saved while on the pact; we're still sweating it a week before payday. I know I've got the strength to make it to the end of the pact; I really don't have a choice. But still, it doesn't help matters when "my friends" try to lure me off the wagon by sending me pictures like this:

5 Comments:

Blogger dirty said...

Wow...I admire you for even making that pact. I couldn't do it...no way. We've never tried Net Flix but we can't stop going to the video store every weekend...or buying the latest movie when it comes out. The sad thing is that we have ended up with quite a few movies that we purchased thinking that they were going to be great only to hate them...

Be strong...I know I couldn't be.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:26:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

That's what we were doing too. I mean, really, who needs Lee Van Cleef's entire opus? We were being pretty compulsive about it.

I just hope when the pact is up, we become more judicious about what movies we buy.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Some Guy said...

Flannery-I applaud you on your will power. I think its always a good idea to deprive yourself of things for a while. Giving up pop & fast food was something I never thought I could do, but I'm glad I did. I know this is a temporary thing, but I don't know that I could do it. Keep it up!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:28:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Thank you, Chris, applause is always appropriate. Kudos to you for giving up fast food and pop. I've about given up fast food, since we don't go out much anymore, but I don't know about giving up my diet coke. I think I would cease to function.

Sad, isn't it? I equate going out with fast food.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Beggars can't be choosers, BO. I'll take whatever free crap comes across my path.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home