Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Stop Saying That!


Lake Superior State University released its "32nd annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness." And here they are:


  • Gitmo

  • Combined celebrity names (e.g. Brangelina)

  • Awesome
    I must excise this from my vocabulary. I started using it ironically and now I can't stop. Perhaps there's a support group out there for me

  • Gone/went missing

  • Pwn or pwned, a misspelling of "own" used by online video gamers

  • Now playing in theaters

  • We're preganant
    Ugh.

  • Undocumented alien

  • Armed robbery/drug deal gone bad

  • Truthiness

  • Ask your doctor

  • Chipotle
    I'm sorry, but I love Chipotle restaurants. I can't banish the word entirely, though I can live without all the wannabe Chipotle recipes out there.

  • i-anything

  • Search

  • Healthy food

  • Boasts

I'd like to add the following:



  • Google, as a verb

  • Kick it up a notch

  • Who says/does that?

  • Whatever

  • Must-see

  • Mel Gibson

What would you add?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to say the name of the restaurant as "Chip-o-lot-o-lee", and stretch it out to 5 syllables. I like the way it makes me sound like an ignorant ass.

how about "dude!" as a greeting. 'ent we done with THAT one yet??

I'll think of the others in a bit...

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 9:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Some Guy said...

I won't be able to keep myself from saying "awesome". I use it a lot.

I'm kinda tired of "Don't even (go there)!" There are probably a ton more. I'll give it some thought.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I know, Chris...I can't help myself either. And I'm with you on the "Don't go there". It's played.

So is "played," I think.

I love Dude as a greeting. I don't think I can give that up, BO.

Here are some phrases and words I wish would come back:

Gag me!
You wish!
As if!
Doy!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:11:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

"Here are some phrases and words I wish would come back"...i.e. I still use (with the exception of doy)

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:13:00 AM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

I'm keeping "awesome" and "whatever", but I would like to banish "you people". I get that at work all the time.

"I have a loan with you people."

Um no, you have a loan with such-n-such bank for which I'm a representative.

It's disrespectful and annoying.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Some Guy said...

I still say "doy", but I save it for special occasions.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 3:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

"Doy"?! Is that like "duh" for midwesterners?

I'm totally keeping "awesome" and "dude" (and "totally") but I wouldn't be disappointed never to hear "whatevs" again.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:31:00 PM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

Orange,

"Dude" as a greeting must stay, but onlyif itis used between women.

Flan & Chris,

"Don't go there" is a GOOD one. But I do like using "play" in those various forms, so I'll argue that! And I've never once used "Doy!" I'm not even sure I know where it comes from????

Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Johnny Yen said...

my bad

24/7

switch out

pimped

Friday, January 05, 2007 8:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Ric Beattie said...

The non-word refi which is often spewed forth in mortgage commercials.

Monday, July 09, 2007 10:38:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home