Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Foreign Mother Tongue

I went to an "in-service" today on special education policy. In-service is term that educators use to cover a variety of sins: meetings, training, lectures, workshops, grab-ass. This one was in a cracker barrel format, which means there were four tables and four speakers. After twenty minutes the speakers rotated to different tables. So, instead of all of us listening together to each speaker (and playing with our Treo's or whatnot), we had "intimate" conversations with people from such exciting places as the Department of Education. Don't get me wrong, I love DOE people. They are very sincere and they are always looking for suggestions. At least in our state, they are not your typical bureaucrats.

However, as much as I love these people, I must say they can sling the hash when they want to. I sat in on one twenty minute conversation on what's coming down the legal pike regarding special eduation policy and law and, I swear to you, they were speaking English. However, I only understood maybe 10% of the content of the conversation. At one point I stopped listening for understanding and just basked in what it felt like to listen to English as if it were a foriegn language. I got to hear the cadence and the tones, completely devoid of meaning. I could tell by reading his body language that the speaker was desperate to get a point across. What that point was, I have no idea; it was drowned in jargon and acronyms.

If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend sitting in on a meeting of special education professionals and hear your language as foreigners do. Then pretend, for a moment, you are a parent of a special needs child. I'll bet you'd be scared to death and mad as hell.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Doc said...

Who is the guy in the red cape, and who does he think he is? Superman wouldn't be caught dead in this video and the guy doesn't look like a magician to me. Should I know who these people are? I recognise the song from its endless airplay on the muzak at work, but what the heck man?!

As for listening to english as a foreign tongue, I do that all the time when you and Elizabeth start talking American Idol, or Frank and Mark discuss golf, or when Matt talks cars, or Wally and John start talking sports. My eyes glaze over and the tones transport me to that mental happy place, until I hear something I can understand.

Doc

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:26:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee... I'm certified in ESE and I do that all the time. lessee: I recommend an initial consult for TARGET after which we can determine your eligibility or if you just need a 504. You might be OHI or SLD, but I doubt you're EMH and you're certainly MR. But we can set up some vertical articulation to discuss what your accomodations under ADA will be. Also, you just MIGHT be ESOL and a LEP if you're having trouble with English as a FIRST language.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:10:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Haaaa! Grab-ass...love it!

Doc,

Keep checking in with my blog, I will help you understand AM.

Big Orange,

Whaaaa! Do you have a manual I can follow?

Flannery,

We are SO Agnetha and Frida, except hotter and better dressed.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:59:00 PM

 
Blogger deadspot said...

Unfortunately, the kids at the other end of the spectrum are just as ill-served as the kids with special needs, but in Illinois, the schools have no mandate to make sure they do something about it. Gifted kids don't get an IEP.

*rant deleted*

I'll leave it at this: gifted education in Illinois sucks ass. The best elementary education I ever got was when my teachers stopped trying to make me slow down to the pace of my classmates and let me learn on my own. My kids didn't even get that.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Dale said...

This kind of foreign language thing happens everywhere now it seems. I must say though, I prefer the Waterloo sequence from Muriel's Wedding. Have you seen it?

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Of course!

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Tenacious S said...

Can I ask what you do? I see things like Special Ed and APA floating around and it is making me wonder. I am a Case Manager for ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) home programs for kids with autism. In fact, I am writing a paper, or should be, on issues regarding ASD and diagnosis, treatment, and special ed. I have thought many times while writing this, and every day in my job, that it must be very difficult to be a parent faced with all of this. It is overwhelming.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Well, Tenacious S, I'm an instructional designer for a university program that prepares people to be school principals. The focus of the program is instructional leadership, with an emphasis on the leadership piece.

When writing materials, I have to use the APA style guide, so that the program conforms to the university standards. I also run into all those other topics surrounding education: special ed, NCLB, and so forth.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:29:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home