Sunday, August 17, 2008

On the road again...

I'm packed and ready to go to Staten Island, NY tomorrow morning. What did I forget? Here's what I have so far:

  • Clothes for Tuesday and Wednesday
  • Camera
  • Camera Charger
  • Itinerary
  • 2 books from the library: A Murder She Wrote mystery and Paid Companion by Amanda Quick (thanks for the recommendation, Raven!)
  • My iPod with pirate music and the Wiggles overwritten
  • Earbuds
  • Hairbrush
  • Travel sized toothpaste and deoderant in a travel zip lock
  • Make up and toothbrush to be packed in the morning
  • Comfortable shoes to train in
  • Phone
  • Phone charger
  • Wallet with driver's license
  • Band-aides
  • Business cards
  • Travel pack from work
  • Xanax

That about covers it. I will print my boarding pass from work and pack up my work laptop tomorrow morning. I should have everything I need and I don't have to check my bags because it all fits in my duffel.

Everytime I go on a trip via airplane, I always have this sensation of doom. I worry that I will sleep through the alarm and miss my flight. Or, that I will realize as I buckle my seat belt that I didn't bring any underwear. When it gets into the wee hours of the night, I will probably dream that I will be trapped on a plane between Lemmy and Carol Channing, worried about whether I packed underwear or not when the pilot announces we are on our way to Guantanamo Bay, where you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

I think the trick to travel is imagination. I pretend that I'm just getting on a bus. When I look out the window, I imagine that it must be a NASA trick. I take my 2/3's cup of Diet Coke from the Attendant and use it to wash down the three fingernail sized pretzels in a ritualistic fashion. When I arrive in the Newark airport, I know I will feel disoriented but I will buck myself up and perservere, knowing that I can go through with this. I will do my job and enjoy my hotel room. I will cruise around Staten Island, looking for things that will be of interest to you.

Wish me luck as I step away from my lovely little home and my beautiful family so that I may see the world and help some people make heads or tails of their paperwork. Also, please let me know if you think I've forgotten anything.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger SkylersDad said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:37:00 AM

 
Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

I think if you've got enough Xanax then it doens't MATTER if you've forgotten anything, including your own zip code.

I'm going to borrow this idea for a blogcake tomorrow, I think...

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:59:00 AM

 
Blogger BeckEye said...

Staten Island? People go there??

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:11:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I've arrived, y'all!

Cap'n: Borrow away!

Beckeye: It looks like there are people here. I plan on heading out to a nice Italian restaurant tonight or tomorrow. You should come on down and check it out. Or not...

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Red said...

Okay, Beckeye took mine. I'm also surprised that Amanda Quick wrote a book with a two word title. I was a fan of _Scandal_, _Surrender_, _Reckless_...actually, looking over her book list I'm not entirely sure which ones I've read and which just have similar titles. But I enjoyed them. I recommend riding the Ferry. Pretty good views for free.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Doc said...

Well, you forgot to pack the flaregun, bottle opener, and bullet proof vest I left out.

Women!

Doc

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:11:00 AM

 
Blogger gennifer6 said...

HAve a fun, safe trip. ;)

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Dale said...

You forgot to take me!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Oooh! If I had taken you, Dale, it would have been a completely different trip (i.e. it would have been a blast).

Shoot. Next time...

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:13:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Wendy Angus and i would like to show you my personal experience with Xanax.

I am 45 years old. Have been on Xanax for 2 years now. In working with a wonderful doctor and therapist, I have learned Meniere's Disease is an anxiety=provoked condition, and is the worst thing I have ever suffered in my life. To manage this, I take a low dose of Wellbutrin everyday and have a 1mg Rx for Xanax, which I am supposed to take 3x-a-day, but to be honest, I usually only take about 3-1mg a week, so only taking it when I honestly feel "too anxious". I also take Meclizine for the Meniere's attacks and those are only as needed as well. I feel the Xanax is better to have around than not, for my personal conditions. It took me a long time to balance out my meds, and taking too much xanax feels as horrible as the withdrawl can be, as I've experienced both. Now, after much time in getting to know what my body needs and how I am feeling (like with anxiety), and removing the 'stigma' of having to take a drug to manage my conditions is now over, taking just a few pills a week seems to work beautifully.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
It makes me very thirsty (dry mouth) but seems to work well in combination with other drugs for my conditions with no ill effects.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Wendy Angus

Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home