Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sniffle

God dammit! I've got a cold. Why me? I guess I could take better care of myself. I could go to bed at 10:00 p.m. every night. I could have a balanced breakfast with cereal, toast, OJ, and bacon. I could start my day with Tai Chi and face the world with a smile.

I could exercise more and go to church. Perhaps if I joined the Republican Party, I would be less suceptible to the cold virus. I assume holding the moral high ground would lift me up above the hoi polloi and remove me from the cocktail of viruses they expell when crying for help.

Perhaps I could relocate to the Arctic. Is it a myth that the cold virus can't survive there? I could go and find out. I could bring Jamie and Adam...

But this is all spilled milk. The fact is, I've got a cold now and none of the above will help me in this moment. Harrumph. Maybe I could draw some inspiration from an internet quote site:

  • I could go passive aggressive with this one: A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright, quoted in Reader's Digest, June 1995
  • I could go uber-chipper with this one: Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book
  • But I think these reflect my personal philosophy best:

    If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit and

    He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts. ~Samuel Johnson

So this cold I have? It's an opportunity for me to get off this crazy thing and spend some time looking after myself. I can soak in a long shower. I can watch some Melrose Place. I can put on fuzzy clothing and draw my family in close. I can let people take care of me and soak up some vitamans. I can beat this cold...I've done it before. But I'm not going to fight it this time. I'm going to revel in it.

Achoo.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger SkylersDad said...

You have a cold because you have children. They are walking Petri dishes.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Thanks for putting things into perspective, Skyler's Dad.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:56:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home