Monday, February 26, 2007

Trying On New Words


The other day, Riley found a book of Bratz paper dolls that her cousin had given her. She was so excited! She brought them into the kitchen and began to flip through the cardboard pages. I was starting to do the dishes and could hear her turning the pages. After a moment or two she started slamming the pages. She was mad.

I made my way over to the kitchen table and sat down. I looked at her face. Her eyebrows were furrowed and tears were starting to form in her eyes. Her jaw was set and she finally slammed the book closed.

"What's the matter, Riley," I asked.

"There are no goddamned paper dolls in this book!"

"What did you say?" I asked her pointedly.

She slammed her hands over her ears, scrunched down and said quietly, "I said there's no dolls in this book."

"Here," I said, "let me look."

I flipped through each page and indeed there were plenty of outfits but no dolls. "You're right, honey, all the dolls are gone."

"Will you make one for me?" she asked.

"Sure," I said and I did. Even though I really don't like the Bratz dolls (I find them slutty and misproportioned), I know she loves them. I felt bad that her cousin had passed this on to her sans dolls, though I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally. I was a bit shocked to hear her say "goddamned." However, she did use it appropriately, I must say. I use it when I'm mad beyond reason, or if I'm talking to Big Orange on the phone. So, I let it pass without mentioning it. It's been over a week now, and I haven't heard it again.

I'm sure she understands that that word is a "bad" word; my shocked and disapproving reaction probably demonstrated that to her. Let me just pat myself on the back here for a moment, though. I'm hoping that by not overreacting to this, I've removed the taboo of speaking bad words, so now, they are no big deal and she won't be using them to manipulate me. I'll let you know how that goes.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger dirty said...

The Brats Dolls scare me. Their big heads and terrible fashion sense and the glitter...too much damn glitter...glad someone else feels the same way about those freaky dolls as I do.

When my older 2 say something that they know they aren't supposed to, we have a talk...when the 3 year old says something he isn't supposed to, we try to ignore it because in the past when we had mad a big deal out of it, he thought it was funny and would repeat. I think you did the right thing. You totally have to give her credit for using the word correctly though...

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Johnny Yen said...

My stepdaughter snitched this weekend on my son using the f-bomb. I don't care-- he has the sense not to use it while I'm out of earshot.

Monday, February 26, 2007 1:18:00 PM

 
Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

Is it wrong that I think this is funny?

Bratz dolls are ho's!

Monday, February 26, 2007 5:33:00 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

I think it's funny too. Funny cute. And, at least with students, I find it best to ignore behaviors you'd like to see discontinued, so way to go with that.

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

Oh, and Johnny Yen, I hope you told your stepdaughter to stop snitchin'. Maybe even reminded her that snitches get stiches. . .

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:20:00 PM

 
Blogger The Boob Lady said...

I almost spit out my pepsi reading this one.

Thanks for the giggles Flan!

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:15:00 PM

 
Blogger K.I.D. said...

I think you handled that nicely. You don't have to go on and on about how bad the word is to say...you let her know and you two moved on.

Too cute, though.

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Dirty: What I hate about the dolls is what their body image communicates. They have very large heads and very small bodies; they look like anorexics.

Johnny Yen: I'm with you. Swearing doesn't really bother me. I'd hate for her to start swearing in school, though.

Elizabeth: No! And totally!

Megan: I'm glad you agree with the way I've handled this. I too believe that sometimes not making a fuss about this kind of thing is the best approach.

Boob Lady: No, thank you!

K.I.D: Thanks!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:49:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goddamnit, that was funny!! I can see it all in me mind's eye, especially the storm clouds hovering above her eyebrows.

As for Bratz-- I'm somewhat disturbed by the size of their inflate-to-35-PSI lips; it's like they're training lil' subliminally for the art of the blowjob or something.

Besides, in addition to the disproportioned bodies, what exactly do they DO? I mean, do they work? do they voluenteer their time at an animal clinic? They're like harem chix or something-- their PURPOSE is to merely BE and to LOOK NICE. I find that socially irresponsible: Barbi at least had a vet clinic and was a nurse and a teacher at various times in addition to being jus' plain cute n' leggy.

I'd love to be able to photoshop a real model into the proportions of a Bratz doll-- giant head, dinner-plate sized eyes, stick figure body. ::shudder:: it'd be even too grotesque for ME!!

::muttering:: Goddamned dolls....

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:25:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home