Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Beggers Can't Be Choosers

The pact has driven me to watch some movies I wouldn't ordinarily deign to see. Last week, at the Tiki, I found myself faced with a movie I wouldn't watch on a bet in pre-pact days. But, since deprivation has driven me to desperation for new movies, I went with it. Wanna know what it was?
Jackass Number 2.

At first, I felt trepidation. I am very squeemish and I can't stand to watch blood, guts, or pain. Or so I thought. I began the movie horrified. Then I was amazed at the stupidity of these guys and their crazy stunts. Then I started to root for them to get mauled. All the while, I was hooting and howling with laughter and sympathy, along with all the others at the Tiki.

I must say there were some scenes I had to leave the room for and I was not the only one, thank you very much. Some dudes left the room too. I kept thinking I should stop watching the movie but I couldn't completely walk away from it. There is some genuinely brilliant slapstick in this film. And it was worth it to hang in there for the musical number at the end, which included a tribute to my man, Buster Keaton. At the time I shouted at the screen, "Don't do an homage to Buster Keaton! That makes you legitimate! Stop it!" But the farther away in time I get from this movie, the more I came to appreciate it for its artistry.

What is wrong with me?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger don'tneedtoknow said...

I've never seen either Jackass Movie.

I once saw an interview with David Bowie after the first movie came out and he called the film "bloody brilliant". I felt that someone should have taken his temperature.

I'll probably never watch these movies, but I thought you might like to know that you are in good company.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I know I'm all right if Bowie's nearby.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:28:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NORTON! brought over Jackass the Movie one time and it WAS painful to see these guys do such stoopid shit. Also, it was just CHOC' FULL O' HO-YAY. I mean, when you strip nekkid to tape a bottle rocket onto your wanger, you got some serious ho-yay latency.

How was the second flick on this account??

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Plenty of ho-yay, but lots of fun slapstick too. Then again, I'm a fan of Ho-yay.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:37:00 PM

 
Blogger dirty said...

I laughed like a little girl at this movie...I must be a jack-ass myself. It is just so stupid that it is funny.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 4:18:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite was the stupid frozen nuts one. WHATTHEHELL were they thinking? UGH. And I don't even have any to empathize with.

Love your blog.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:57:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home