Here's a list of what I've done so far:
- Organized the kitchen cupboards
- Removed the excess layer of crappy toys from the girls rooms
- Set up a "cozy corner" in their bedrooms so they have a spot to read
- Organized Riley's armoir...I ran out of time to do Lucy's drawers and closet yesterday
- Rearranged furniture
- Adopted a stern tone and voiced my expectations clearly and resolutely
- Cancelled the cable (just internet and netflix. It's good for you...)
Doc and I are the baby and the only child respectively in our familes and let's just say that we've both experienced some discipline issues in the past. To put it plainly, we procrastinate. Well, not anymore. Now, it is my plan to get the work out of the way before goofing off. It's just like my Mom told me it should be. And I hope to have all hands on deck for this. I'm sure it's going to take more than a whistle to make it happen; we are all so daggone independent. But I think the benefits of teamwork will reveal themselves in this endeavor.
Mom was right of course. I'm happier when I leave the house and it's standing tall, rather than dashing off and coming home to one mess or another. Also, it feels good to have everything ready in advance. I'm hoping the feeling is addictive...and contagious. I'm also more open to others when I know I don't have anything hanging over my head. I want to be a better friend, daughter, mother, wife...
Wish me luck and bon voyage that I can trade my clunker in for style, grace and peace.